Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:51 am

Poll: Does the end ever justify the means?
This poll is closed.
Yes, the end does always/mostly justify the means.
30.77%
4 30.77%
No, the end does not always/mostly justify the means.
38.46%
5 38.46%
the ting go.. skrrra pap pap ka ka ka skidiki pap pap and a pu pu drrrr boom SKYAAA du du ku ku tun
30.77%
4 30.77%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the end ever justify the means?
Does the end ever justify the means?
Thinking further about our recent good person vs bad person discussions, my stand is that there are two types of people in our world:

1) People that agree with "The end justify the means"
2) People that disagree with "The end justify the means"

4 Questions:
* What type of person are you? 
* What do you think of people with the opposite view?
* Can you maintain a good relation with someone with the opposite or same view?
* What do you most love and hate about your view and the opposite view?

RE: Does the end ever justify the means?
That's a bit of a reductive question. People can think the end justifies the means in a certain set of circumstances for a certain goal, and not think that in other situations.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
If the end is a good result, the means are justified.
If the end is not a good result, the means are not justified.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Voted for the spicy meme.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
What's with you and the number 2 lately, Pool?  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
In the long run and bigger picture it always does, in theory.

I mean... it always does in practice too. But the problem is that attempts to practice the theory often lead to failures that actually go against the theory. And people who often think they are justifying the means... aren't.
(October 11, 2017 at 12:40 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: That's a bit of a reductive question. People can think the end justifies the means in a certain set of circumstances for a certain goal, and not think that in other situations.

Yup. I understand, that's why I included a "always/mostly" option in the poll. You don't have to be 100% on one option but there will be a particular side a person will be leaning more in most cases.
(October 11, 2017 at 12:46 pm)Khemikal Wrote: What's with you and the number 2 lately, Pool?  Wink

His subconscious deeply craves an affair with CL.
(October 11, 2017 at 12:43 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: If the end is a good result, the means are justified.

No.

The end: World peace
The means: Universal genocide

QED
(October 11, 2017 at 12:55 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(October 11, 2017 at 12:43 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: If the end is a good result, the means are justified.

No.

The end:  World peace
The means: Universal genocide

QED

Or something even on a small scale.

The end: My mother gets her medicine for her asthma.
The means: I murdered an asthmatic in the alleyway for his inhaler.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When do the ends justify the means? Losty 43 5646 September 15, 2015 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Athene
  The existence of "Ghosts" means... CristW 71 14933 August 18, 2014 at 8:10 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The End of Theistic Morality MindForgedManacle 8 2529 November 4, 2013 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Belief means holding something to be true in philosophy Dawud 6 4412 April 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Dawud