Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do the ends justify the means?
When do the ends justify the means?
Hi hello there...I think I'm in the right place. I hope.
I was talking with a friend the other day about torture. The original conversation started over a video game protagonist who tortures people to find answers about where their victims are. I said, he's not a hero because heroes do not torture people. At which point, my friend was so kind as to forever ruin batman for me *weeps*. Anyways, what I want to know is, in what instances do you guys think it is acceptable to torture someone? You can make a fake example like he did if you want.

He said if it were proven that torturing for information actually got results, and a bad person had kidnapped a child who would die soon unless found, torturing that bad person in order to find out where the child is would be the right thing to do. I disagreed, obviously keep interrogating and do what you can and try to find the child, but even if it means the child dies it would be wrong to torture the bad person. (Sorry for obscure wording but I was trying not to be sexist about villains and victims)

Anyways, I guess I just want to know if anyone else thinks there are certain circumstances where it would be morally acceptable to torture another person, and if so, what are they?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: When do the ends justify the means?
The CIA torture reports seem to indicate that it didn't really work. The instances where you know absolutely that someone knows something worth torturing them for, and that people will die if you don't get the info, is mostly seen in movies. In Guantanamo, it turns out that many people were innocent, and that almost no information they got was worth what they did.

It's like, do you really think there were witches in Salem? People making pacts with Satan, and performing magic? One red flag is that one way to tell if a woman is a witch is if she floats when you put her in water. So either she'll drown an innocent woman, or keep herself from drowning long enough for the town to kill her anyway.

Torture is a violation of Human rights. There's even an amendment in the constitution covering cruel and unusual punishment. It's against the Geneva Convention. This kind of thing should not be debatable, yet people have been trying to justify "enhanced interrogation techniques".
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

You're telling me about the constitution and the Geneva Convention. I know these things, I'm just asking what people think. I felt like my friend thought I was weird for saying that torture is absolutely 100% wrong regardless of even imaginary circumstances where there could be a good ending from it. So I was checking to see if everyone else thinks torturing is always wrong, or if I'm cray... Sounds like you don't think I'm crazy.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Torture doesn't work. The information garnered is still shoddy, because the victim will say anything to stop the cattle-prod shocking his balls or the wet rag suffocating his breath or the forearm crushing his throat or the knocks on the door that have woken him up every hour for the last fifty-two days.

Torture doesn't elicit accurate information. Torture appeases the base instincts of assholes.

Omni magazine ran a short story years ago called A Thousand Deaths. It's an interesting read on a form of torture grossly beyond anything that could be done today.

And yet the hero of the story was able to adapt to it . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Personally, I would torture the shit out of someone whom I knew was involved in the disappearance of a missing child and had knowledge of the their whereabouts. Moral? Maybe not....wouldn't even be my concern. Upholding my sense of morality wouldn't be the objective. The goal would be to get it done...and find the kid. People that abduct and rape children forfeit any and all moral consideration in my opinion.
I normally would not harm an animal.

However, if I'm driving down a city street and see a pitbull clamped on a little kid, I'm grabbing my DeWalt, and I'm going to start drilling holes in the dog.

Or the drywall knife. It's dull, but it would work too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 13, 2015 at 11:20 pm)Thena323 Wrote: Personally, I would torture the shit out of someone whom I knew was involved in the disappearance of a missing child and had knowledge of the their whereabouts. Moral? Maybe not....wouldn't even be my concern. Upholding my sense of morality wouldn't be the objective. The goal would be to get it done...and find the kid. People that abduct and rape children forfeit any and all moral consideration in my opinion.

I understand the sentiment, but the fact is that people who abduct and rape children also kill them.

"Their whereabouts" in those sorts of cases is the crawlspace under the house. What has torture gotten you?

I'm against torture for any reason, any time, any person. If you've ever been abused, you'll understand why I say this.

(September 13, 2015 at 11:31 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(September 13, 2015 at 11:20 pm)Thena323 Wrote: Personally, I would torture the shit out of someone whom I knew was involved in the disappearance of a missing child and had knowledge of the their whereabouts. Moral? Maybe not....wouldn't even be my concern. Upholding my sense of morality wouldn't be the objective. The goal would be to get it done...and find the kid. People that abduct and rape children forfeit any and all moral consideration in my opinion.

I understand the sentiment, but the fact is that people who abduct and rape children also kill them.

"Their whereabouts" in those sorts of cases is the crawlspace under the house. What has torture gotten you?

I'm against torture for any reason, any time, any person. If you've ever been abused, you'll understand why I say this.
I'm against torture as well. 

I was just answering a hypothetical scenario in which an innocent child who was known to be alive and could still be found, as honestly as possible. I would do what it takes to find them, if  I knew with absolute certainty who the person responsible for taking them was  AND they were not forthcoming. 

I know that torture is wrong, but I can't say that it's not something I wouldn't consider under those very specific circumstances as a matter of survival. As I said, I'm just being honest.
I'm against torture in all cases, but like Thena and Vorlon, I don't think my stance would matter much; given the chance, I'd probably succumb to my anger in that particular hypothetical. I remember throwing things at the TV when I lost a game as a child, so I know it's in there somewhere.

Have any of you seen this
[Image: 11986440_10205102979002825_1720727037884...e=566C3ADD]
It's hard to watch but it was pretty good.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the end ever justify the means? ErGingerbreadMandude 34 7124 October 12, 2017 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Court Jester
  The existence of "Ghosts" means... CristW 71 14951 August 18, 2014 at 8:10 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Belief means holding something to be true in philosophy Dawud 6 4419 April 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Dawud