Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belief means holding something to be true in philosophy
Belief means holding something to be true in philosophy
There are some on this forum who use the term belief to imply doubt but contemporary analytic philosophers of mind generally use the term “belief” to refer to the attitude we have, roughly, whenever we take something to be the case or regard it as true. To believe something, in this sense, needn't involve actively reflecting on it: Of the vast number of things ordinary adults believe, only a few can be at the fore of the mind at any single time. Nor does the term “belief”, in standard philosophical usage, imply any uncertainty or any extended reflection about the matter in question (as it sometimes does in ordinary English usage). Many of the things we believe, in the relevant sense, are quite mundane: that we have heads, that it's the 21st century, that a coffee mug is on the desk. Forming beliefs is thus one of the most basic and important features of the mind, and the concept of belief plays a crucial role in both philosophy of mind and epistemology. The “mind-body problem”, for example, so central to philosophy of mind, is in part the question of whether and how a purely physical organism can have beliefs. Much of epistemology revolves around questions about when and how our beliefs are justified or qualify as knowledge.

In the philosophy thread would it be better to use this philosophical protocol or to use belief as meaning "holding doubt about something".

Lots of people claim not to have belief in what they know - can we drop this more sloppy usage in the forum.
Kudos given by (1): Dawud
RE: Belief means holding something to be true in philosophy
Why do you wish to make people believe in something and everything?
Why do you wish to broaden the meaning of a particular word so much that it interferes with the domain of another well defined word?
I don't know that I'd use the word belief to mean "holding doubt about something", personally. I imagine that some just might doubt some thing that they believe - but we have plenty just here on these boards that obviously don't have any doubt about anything that they believe.

I understand why the term is used in the manner that it is between two philosophers, for example, but beyond their back and forths- that particular reading loses teeth.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 26, 2013 at 8:41 am)Dawud Wrote: There are some on this forum who use the term belief to imply doubt but contemporary analytic philosophers of mind generally use the term “belief” to refer to the attitude we have, roughly, whenever we take something to be the case or regard it as true.
Nope. You're misunderstanding the contemporary view the 'knowledge' is a subset of 'belief' commonly called 'justified-true belief'. This is a response to Descartes and allows philosophers to separate perceptual reality from the existential doubts (when agreed in definitions).

Consequently everything else you wrote is wrong.

Quote:Lots of people claim not to have belief in what they know - can we drop this more sloppy usage in the forum.
Well, I won't because it's not sloppy, it's granular and precise when applied to preceptual reality and justified-true belief. You just misunderstand its use.
Sum ergo sum
(April 26, 2013 at 10:04 am)Ben Davis Wrote:
(April 26, 2013 at 8:41 am)Dawud Wrote: There are some on this forum who use the term belief to imply doubt but contemporary analytic philosophers of mind generally use the term “belief” to refer to the attitude we have, roughly, whenever we take something to be the case or regard it as true.
Nope. You're misunderstanding the contemporary view the 'knowledge' is a subset of 'belief' commonly called 'justified-true belief'. This is a response to Descartes and allows philosophers to separate perceptual reality from the existential doubts (when agreed in definitions).

Consequently everything else you wrote is wrong.

Quote:Lots of people claim not to have belief in what they know - can we drop this more sloppy usage in the forum.
Well, I won't because it's not sloppy, it's granular and precise when applied to preceptual reality and justified-true belief. You just misunderstand its use.

To be fair, it is a quotation from one of the most authoritative and up to date encyclopaedias of philosophy in the English speaking world.

Your assertion that its wrong doesn't make you wrong - it just highlights your difference from academic philosophers in the English speaking world.

It's a difference Im happy to accept on this forum though - I'm just explaining that it is my humble background in academic philosophy that led me to use these standard definitions.

Stanford OEP btw

(A fantastic free resource that I suggest you make use of at some point!)

Analytic philosophy is dead.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Yes - luckily SOEP is not an "analytical site" but is an encyclopaedia of philosophy as a whole and covers ancient philosophy also....

The analytical-Continental divide was quite artificial and I feel more like snobbery...

(April 26, 2013 at 1:57 pm)apophenia Wrote:

Analytic philosophy is dead.

Was this a rejection if Stanford OEP btw?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5296 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1424 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 4913 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3598 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1605 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3917 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 12999 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3315 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1798 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2633 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01