Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Words
First Words
Hi there! My name is John, I'm a Swedish atheist from a protestant family. Can't really say that I have a particularly interesting background and de-conversion story to share, which all things considered probably is a good thing. I grew up believing blindly in what I was taught about God and the christian world, my father is very religious and my mother used to be a christian as well. Fortunately for me she never liked the hypocritical church sects and mostly kept me away from that which has probably saved me a lot of pain. 
Getting older with less and less religious friends and more agnostics and atheists and myself eventually moving out as a teenager to study natural science in high school made it harder for me to stay religious even if I never noticed it at the time. As we all know, cognitive dissonance is hard to notice in yourself. 
Only one or two years ago did I realize that I was an atheist, something that had been growing for a long time but it felt like turning on a light. To the amusement and encouragement from my friends I went from a die hard christian to a gladly outspoken atheist and somewhat antitheist. 
Coming to this realization I discovered a great interest for atheistic and scientific literature which fortunately, until recently, I had a lot of time to delve into. I started, like so many others, with Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion, and also read several other of his more scientific books. Moved on to Christopher Hitchens' God Is Not Great, then Sam Harris, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Lawrence Krauss, Yuval Noah Harari etc etc. I could keep rambling about all the great literature and authors I've discovered and I have a huge list of books in my phone that I hope to have time to read some day! I also spend a lot of time watching debates and discussions on Youtube, try to catch The Atheist Experience whenever they're on and spent sometime myself on Cookie, previously 9chat, only to debate religion until they closed that group.

So there's a very brief summary of me I suppose. I've been wanting to speak more about all things religion and atheism for a long time now and now I felt that it was time to join a forum for it again. I'll probably float around here in the beginning and get the feel of the forum and we'll see what happens! Smile
"History is something that very few people have been doing while everyone else was ploughing fields and carrying water buckets." -Yuval Noah Harari
RE: First Words
Nice to meet you. Welcome to AF.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
välkommen!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
welcome
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Your name. It’s too c172ish. I haz confuz.

Welcome, though.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Thanks guys!

(October 17, 2017 at 12:20 am)J a c k Wrote: Your name. It’s too c172ish. I haz confuz.

Welcome, though.

Haha sorry about that, maybe I should have kept it Charlie152 indecisive as I am. I was unaware of c172 but I think we have aviation in common Wink
"History is something that very few people have been doing while everyone else was ploughing fields and carrying water buckets." -Yuval Noah Harari
I'm down wid it, bruh.

And I normally don't talk like that. What's with me?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(October 17, 2017 at 12:36 am)c172 Wrote: I'm down wid it, bruh.

Cool, don't want to step on your toes. Are you still on the c172?
Welcome from down under.
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 17, 2017 at 12:39 am)c152 Wrote:
(October 17, 2017 at 12:36 am)c172 Wrote: I'm down wid it, bruh.

Cool, don't want to step on your toes. Are you still on the c172?

Actually, I don't have a license. I flew in a c172 back in 1991 over Seattle with my uncle and his friend. I still like them a lot. I follow mraviation101 on YouTube. He has one. 40 years old or so. I also like HondaJets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First things first Bad Writer 61 10833 June 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Aractus