Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a Secular Humanist!
Ask a Secular Humanist!
This is my 150th post so I thought it should be about me. Atheism is nothing but a lack of belief in gods. My philosophical world view is as a secular humanist.

Wiki: "Secular humanism is a philosophy or life stance that embraces human reason, ethics, social justice, and philosophical naturalism while specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, pseudoscience, and superstition as the bases of morality and decision making."

Ask away!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Ask a Secular Humanist!
Ok, but I have never found value in creating "moral lists" considering that if we went by the morals of antiquity and morals never changed we wouldn't have this website.

Powers exist in all sectors, business, religion, politics and economic views. "Isms" will never change the fact that we are all humans.

I agree with what you say, but the sum of that list amounts to empathy and awareness of others.
(March 18, 2018 at 2:29 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Ok, but I have never found value in creating "moral lists" considering that if we went by the morals of antiquity and morals never changed we wouldn't have this website.

Powers exist in all sectors, business, religion, politics and economic views. "Isms" will never change the fact that we are all humans.

I agree with what you say, but the sum of that list amounts to empathy and awareness of others.

I also keep it simple and try to be empathetic.

Do you believe almost all people are shades of grey, not fully good not fully evil, or you distinguish between a path that leads to darkness and a path that leads to light?

And you can understand "darkness" and "light" with the Atheistic viewpoint as a parable, same with shades of grey.
Can I be considered humanist while being a person of faith? Or is that term only for non believers?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
There was a humanist group in my neighborhood for several years, but it fizzled. The guy that ran it seemed to always have trouble even defining "humanist". Do you find it difficult as well (as in, vague, maybe)? Why or why not, if you'd like to treat this.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(March 18, 2018 at 2:53 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Do you believe almost all people are shades of grey, not fully good not fully evil, or you distinguish between a path that leads to darkness and a path that leads to light?

And you can understand "darkness" and "light" with the Atheistic viewpoint as a parable, same with shades of grey.

I am a fan of Luke Skywalker and hate Darth Vader.

Claims of god/s have no chance against logic and reason. 

Of course grey exists, and yes, not all are all good or all bad. 

BUT what does exist is  our species ability to have empathy and compassion.
(March 18, 2018 at 3:00 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Can I be considered humanist while being a person of faith? Or is that term only for non believers?
You can be a believer but apply yourself as if humans can solve their own problems. Not all humanists are atheists.

(March 18, 2018 at 2:53 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Do you believe almost all people are shades of grey, not fully good not fully evil, or you distinguish between a path that leads to darkness and a path that leads to light?

Of course, but I do not assert shades of grey. More like a kaleidoscopic view of people.

(March 18, 2018 at 3:03 pm)c172 Wrote: There was a humanist group in my neighborhood for several years, but it fizzled. The guy that ran it seemed to always have trouble even defining "humanist". Do you find it difficult as well (as in, vague, maybe)? Why or why not, if you'd like to treat this.
It can be difficult for some, but I am a simpleton. Humans solving human problems. Humans finding human ways to get along. The definition is easy, the solutions are not.

So humanist doesn't simply mean valueing human life?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 18, 2018 at 3:24 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: So humanist doesn't simply mean valueing human life?
No! It is a world view that we can formulate ethics, morality, solutions to problems without gods. Valuing human life is certainly a major focus.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How would you describe a Humanist? Bahana 10 1652 October 21, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Secular Humanism and Humanity: What are they? Ignorant 80 23234 March 22, 2015 at 6:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10618 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Can anyone give me a example of how religous moral is superior to secular morality Lemonvariable72 29 9796 September 9, 2013 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Is Secular Liberation Possible?? Katie23 9 3234 August 4, 2013 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Why Secular Morality is Superior DeistPaladin 283 102232 June 22, 2013 at 2:50 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Epicureanism: a secular doctrine for happiness Hiram 3 1264 January 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist