Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Universal Moral Code
The Universal Moral Code
Please consider the following ideas regarding morality, if you are so inclined to do.

I affirm that, although only an approximation to how life actually works, the moral code that follows describes, with a high degree of accuracy, true righteousness and justice. This moral code applies to everybody and everything, everywhere, universally, and without exception. The simple Universal Moral Code to be observed has only 4 major premises, as follows:

1. Each living being belongs only to itself; and each has full rights over its own life.

2. All life has equal rights. Each living being is equal in value or importance to every other living being. No living being or group of beings has any rights, including the rights to exploit, or abuse, or force their own will, upon any other living being or group of beings, unless all beings involved are willing participants.

3. Evil is prohibited. Definition of evil:
a. Evil is violating the above rules.
b. Evil also is anything or anybody that causes any type of harm, pain, suffering, damage, impairment, injury, loss, detriment, distress, affliction, or any other disagreeable experience, or does any injustice, to a living being against its will.
c. Evil is the ONLY deviation from moral rectitude there is. It is wrong. Nobody should do it.
d. Evil is unacceptable. Nobody should tolerate it or put up with it. AND

4. The adoption and observance of this Universal Moral Code is strictly voluntary and can be taken up or discontinued at any time. Adhering to this code will require valor and much strength of character, but it is worth it because the Universal Moral Code will afford full protection to all living beings who fully adhere to it. However, every living being who fails to adhere to it is hereby advised:

Most, or all, of the following will apply to you, depending on how lucky you are:

1. You do not belong to yourself and do not have full rights over your own life. Another being or a group of beings will take ownership of your life and will enslave you in any way they can.

2. Other beings will declare their superiority over you. You and your well-being will be less valuable or important than that of those other beings. Those other beings will have the rights they want to have over your life, including the rights to exploit you, and abuse you, and force their will in your life, even if you are not willing to be subjected to such treatment.

3. Evil will be perpetrated against you. Definition of evil:
a. Evil is anything or anybody that causes any type of harm, pain, suffering, damage, impairment, injury, loss, detriment, distress, affliction, or any other disagreeable experience, or does any injustice, to a living being against its will.
b. Evil is permissible to you also and is morally acceptable. However, complicated laws and moral guidelines will be imposed on you, to keep your society WORKING in an orderly fashion. AND
c. Evil is something you must accept as a fact of life, no matter how oppressive it is to you. You must toughen up, must learn to tolerate evil, must learn to ignore evil, and must look only at the pleasant elements in your life, to delude yourself into feeling that everything is OK.

That is all we need to know in order to be able to distinguish right from wrong. I don’t believe this Universal Moral Code can be proven or disproven to be right and just. I think it is our intuition that tells us whether adopting this moral code is right for us or not. In my case, I know that when somebody hurts me, abuses me, robs me, injures me, or imposes his or her will on me; that is an immoral action for them to do against me. It is evil, and I should NOT put up with it. Instead, I should do everything within my power to put a stop to the injustice. I also realize that I’m the same as everybody else. Everybody else is the same as me. They too want to be happy, to feel good, to be respected, and so on. So, if it is wrong for them to do something to me, then it's is just as wrong for me to do that something to them. Then I also realized that not only human lives deserve this respect, but so do animals, plants, every sentient being, and maybe even every individual life form, even if it seems to have no awareness.

The reason for the above statement is that we are all made of the same stuff. Some scientists believe everything, at the quantum level, is made of the same type of very small particles or waves of matter, or strings, that turn out to be made of the same fundamental substance. Some people believe this fundamental substance is energy. Some people believe that consciousness is the fundamental substance that makes up everything. I believe that both, energy and consciousness, or intelligence, are the basic substances, out of which everything is made. But even if all of that turns out not to be true, the common element in all living beings is life. What really matters is that we are all individual living beings, who are made up of the same fundamental life, as every other living being is; therefore, all of us, living beings, have the same rights and value, in a similar way to how every individual gram of pure gold has the same value as all other individual grams of pure gold.

There may be many details relating to the way life works that I am yet to figure out, but what I can say, without fear of being wrong, is that karma is a bitch, baby! What goes around comes around. You reap what you sow. Every cause has an effect. And, for every action, there is an equivalent reaction that comes in the opposite direction (although, not necessarily right away).

May all of us find a way to what we desire, and a way to stay away from what we don't.
RE: The Universal Moral Code
Does the wheat consent?  Is it going to karmicly enslave you for eating it? What's the moral significance of bread?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If you can sum that all up in a pithy paragraph maybe I'll read it.
I don't do walls of text.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Must be taking a class in law giving. Might be fun to devise a moral code for digestion.
Would you like to tell us how you are a victim of others that are not living by and/or applying your Universal Moral Code?

This sounds like a reactive justification to some perceived wrong you've unjustly suffered. 

Your "Universal Moral Code" lacks depth of thought.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 21, 2017 at 9:44 am)mh.brewer Wrote:  

This sounds like a reactive justification to some perceived wrong you've unjustly suffered.  

Or justly suffered and the butthurt chafes.  Sleepy
(October 21, 2017 at 9:47 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(October 21, 2017 at 9:44 am)mh.brewer Wrote: This sounds like a reactive justification to some perceived wrong you've unjustly suffered.  

Or justly suffered and the butthurt chafes.  Sleepy

More than likely, but I'm not convinced the OP has the capability to comprehend.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
In what way does the moral code afford protection to those that adhere to it from those who are evil?
What if you do something evil to someone accidentally?
I think if you dilute true righteousness and justice down to four major premises, you might be throwing your high degree of accuracy out the window.
And how does this tie in with 'The Source'.
(October 21, 2017 at 9:41 am)Whateverist Wrote: Must be taking a class in law giving.  Might be fun to devise a moral code for digestion.

The universal rule for digestion is that everything turns to shit.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
OP lost my attention at #2. No way in hell I'm going to treat the virus trying to kill me or the food that sustains me as equals, and I'm fairly sure I'm not alone.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 13374 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6765 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6744 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3150 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3800 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 4738 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5761 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3231 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7153 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Moral Oughts Acrobat 109 7764 August 30, 2019 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Acrobat