Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is it that makes people so mean on the internet?
What is it that makes people so mean on the internet?
I have been called some incredibly hurtful things on the web. Mostly on Facebook. Probably because when you engage someone in a debate attempting to use logic they do this thing where they sift through your Facebook profile to find a "flaw" in you because they have no other arguments. This is one of the reasons I don't engage people anymore on Facebook. No matter how idiotic of a statement they have made. 

For instance, today I made statement that angered those raging patriots on Facebook. And boy, the nastiness sure comes out. It was like a shark feeding frenzy.

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: What is it that makes people so mean on the internet?
It's the "anonymity" angle. It allows for one to act differently online than one would in real life.

But your situation is more akin to overly zealous patriotism; those people just need to get their priorities straightened.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Relative anonymity and distance.

Now move along poopy head.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 23, 2017 at 6:24 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Relative anonymity and distance.

Now move along poopy head.

What you did there. I see it!

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
Still as true as when this first appeared...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRA5zipX7e-2Mrii6zicto...mQg8Zw8IYr]
I remember the first thing I ever did on an internet chatroom, and probably the first thing I ever communicated to another country through the internet was type "hey dickhead" to a random american man and I sat there laughing my head off with my friend when he replied with "hey what's your problem?".  I think I was 13 or something at the time.

But anyway to get onto the question, I think there's different levels and reasons.  In cases like my situation when I was 13, some people are immature and the internet is new to them and calling someone in another country a dickhead is the funniest thing ever.  

In other more severe cases I think it can be because there's a lot of people out there with mental disorders, to simply just people who are fucked in the head who want to cause people suffering.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Anonymity and untouchability makes people feel much braver than they should be. well, near untouchability. You screw up bad enough on the internet, and anonymous will find you.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(October 23, 2017 at 7:08 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I remember the first thing I ever did on an internet chatroom, and probably the first thing I ever communicated to another country through the internet was type "hey dickhead" to a random american man and I sat there laughing my head off with my friend when he replied with "hey what's your problem?".  I think I was 13 or something at the time.

But anyway to get onto the question, I think there's different levels and reasons.  In cases like my situation when I was 13, some people are immature and the internet is new to them and calling someone in another country a dickhead is the funniest thing ever.  

In other more severe cases I think it can be because there's a lot of people out there with mental disorders, to simply just people who are fucked in the head who want to cause people suffering.

My first experience with the internet was as a teenager in high school, and it was on a Dawson's Creek forum, because that was the show everyone was watching back then.

I remember reading some of the comments and thinking, "Oh, this is fun".

My first experience with the internet made me a life-long addict.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
To the OP: you suck.
<insert profound quote here>
I went through a phase on BevNET years ago, which was a site I actually did like, and went by "Hans", and would respond to anything by taking a thing of text in English, running it through Google to some other language: Hebrew, Icelandic, Urdu...anything. And then running it back. And then picking out the untranslated stuff and weird punctuation so that is sounded kind of like a word salad, I guess. 

Some people actually found it hilarious, but it pissed off others. I guess I just enjoyed the attention.

But then the other day I used my insta to very simply complement somebody on a modeling pic, and she completely ripped me apart. It could have been that everybody following her was a personal friend, and I'm not. Or she could have been having a bad day. Or she might have been writing into what I said. Or it could have been me, but I was kind of taken aback.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The story of Midas makes no sense Foxaèr 13 1150 April 27, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What does your username mean? vulcanlogician 46 2708 February 11, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Internet Utopia Ahriman 71 5286 October 7, 2021 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Mid-late 2000's internet was the best time for the web. Mechaghostman2 6 803 June 14, 2020 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Why is it internet fandom has some of the nastiest people? A Godzilla fan 10 803 October 7, 2019 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 991 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Shut Everything Down - Barack Obama Just Won The Internet BrianSoddingBoru4 30 2669 August 5, 2018 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Anyone makes mental health jokes... Mystic 61 14431 March 23, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  What makes you cringe? Edwardo Piet 3 533 November 2, 2017 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  So these rapists are... I mean these.... Brian37 43 8767 August 2, 2017 at 12:29 am
Last Post: Athene