Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anslem's argument is sound.
Anslem's argument is sound.
These two premises prove Anselm's argument is correct though secular Academia presents it with the worse bias:
1. It is greater to exist than not to exist (We try to prevent death because we all believe in this).
2. An action that is imagined and intended, is not as good and great as the same action put to practice. That is to say if we wanted to do a good but we didn't, it is not as good as actually doing the act.

To know Anselm's argument, all you need to believe is one premise which is the controversial premise, that is: "Existence is a perfection/greatness/beauty/goodness."
This has been proven, and the rest will be proven easily. He was no dumb person. When we think of ultimate greatness, we cannot define it if it were not a living reality. This is because life is an aspect of ultimate greatness. It is true, and has been proven in the first 2 premises I have shown.
In fact, while true, you don't even have to argue that living is an aspect of every greatness. Just that living is required for a degree of greatness or is part of some of its instance definition.
You can equate imaging being a hero with actually being a hero, but we know the latter is much greater.
So the ultimate one cannot be defined where it not that he exists. And indeed he has been defined for ages.
RE: Anslem's argument is sound.
(October 24, 2017 at 8:42 am)MysticKnight Wrote: 1. It is greater to exist than not to exist (We try to prevent death because we all believe in this).

No.

It is preferable to continue existing once one already exists (assuming that life isn't unbearable). If I did not exist to begin with then no one would care.
(October 24, 2017 at 9:00 am)Mathilda Wrote:
(October 24, 2017 at 8:42 am)MysticKnight Wrote: 1. It is greater to exist than not to exist (We try to prevent death because we all believe in this).

No.

It is preferable to continue existing once one already exist

But what is the reason for that if not that existence is greater then not to exist.

And the fact many people celebrate their birthday also proves we appreciate existing rather than not.
I think this goes here.

I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Anselm's argument is round.

FIFY
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
(October 24, 2017 at 9:25 am)MysticKnight Wrote:
(October 24, 2017 at 9:00 am)Mathilda Wrote: No.

It is preferable to continue existing once one already exist

But what is the reason for that if not that existence is greater then not to exist.

Because we have a survival instinct that has evolutionary benefits. Dying means that people suffer. Not ever existing means no survival instinct and no suffering.

(October 24, 2017 at 9:25 am)MysticKnight Wrote: And the fact many people celebrate their birthday also proves we appreciate existing rather than not.

I don't. I hate birthdays and have asked people not to send me cards.
(October 24, 2017 at 9:00 am)Mathilda Wrote:

No.

It is preferable to continue existing once one already exists (assuming that life isn't unbearable). If I did not exist to begin with then no one would care.

Indeed, and I also disagree with number one; I did not ask to be born and sometimes at my absolute lowest I wish I never had been or that I could have a 'kill switch'... just an instantaneous, painless way to cease to exist. Heaven and hell can both be earthly and in the hellish moments, it is only fear of the process of dying; the pain, the loss, the loneliness, the cold that prevents me from taking my own life, not the love of existence.
Existence is not a predicate.

/thread
No it's not . But i fully expect Wooter to come here and insist that it is .  Dodgy
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(October 24, 2017 at 9:27 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I think this goes here.

I'll watch that one later... I thought I was gonna get a South Park clip there Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sound and Nihilism henryp 26 5640 May 2, 2015 at 2:19 am
Last Post: robvalue