Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 2:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussion, not Provocation
Discussion, not Provocation
As part of the new "Prime Directive" rule, we are moving to remove and/or shut down threads which serve no purpose but to be provocative and troll people. We live in times where people spend too much time shouting at each other and spreading misinformation about each other, rather than sitting down and having a good discussion about their views. At AF, we want to facilitate the latter and not the former.

As with anything new, there will be some kinks that need to be worked out along the way, but we feel that this will be a positive move for the forum. It is important to note that we aren't too concerned with the subjects of discussions, but are more concerned with how threads start off, and how threads develop. Here are a few tips on how to create a good discussion thread:

1. Avoid false equivocation. Making generalized statements about a person or groups of people almost never goes well. Rather than making blanket statements like "all X are Y", make an argument for why "X has some attributes of Y" and present it for discussion.

2. Be accurate. Check your sources before posting, ensure that you have the facts. If you are presenting someone else's opinion, use quotes and don't editorialize what they are saying unless you make it clear that this is your interpretation rather than what they have said specifically.

3. Add some discussion to your post. Rather than just posting a link and your opinion, try to encourage discussion. Ask whether people agree or disagree, pose questions, ask for clarification from people rather than assuming something. In short, be open about discussing a subject rather than being provocative from the get go.

As always, use the report feature if you feel that someone is being provocative and not trying to have a discussion. Remember why we are all here. Together we can ensure that the forum remains a place where people who disagree can discuss things in a positive and friendly way.

Thanks.
RE: Discussion, not Provocation
I like it... will be interesting to see the actual application and enforcment though.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(November 1, 2017 at 11:28 am)Tiberius Wrote: 2. Be accurate. Check your sources before posting, ensure that you have the facts. If you are presenting someone else's opinion, use quotes and don't editorialize what they are saying unless you make it clear that this is your interpretation rather than what they have said specifically.

There go all the threads made by religious folk!! Tongue
(November 1, 2017 at 12:15 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(November 1, 2017 at 11:28 am)Tiberius Wrote: 2. Be accurate. Check your sources before posting, ensure that you have the facts. If you are presenting someone else's opinion, use quotes and don't editorialize what they are saying unless you make it clear that this is your interpretation rather than what they have said specifically.

There go all the threads made by religious folk!! Tongue

Obviously we aren't trying to be the arbiters of truth here, but it stands to reason that if someone calls a square a circle, they don't have any intentions of having a serious discussion.
(November 1, 2017 at 11:28 am)Tiberius Wrote: 3. Add some discussion to your post. Rather than just posting a link and your opinion, try to encourage discussion. Ask whether people agree or disagree, pose questions, ask for clarification from people rather than assuming something. In short, be open about discussing a subject rather than being provocative from the get go.

Poor min. Many times he posts threads with links that are news related or politics related and doesn't include much more than brief commentary. Is this to say that he can no longer include his witty one-liners?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I think Min's witty one liners are clearly his opinion, so wouldn't be a problem. That said, if we have to start labeling everything we say that's opinion, that's baloney.

I'm going to start calling you guys The Babysitter's Club.
(November 1, 2017 at 12:34 pm)Joods Wrote:
(November 1, 2017 at 11:28 am)Tiberius Wrote: 3. Add some discussion to your post. Rather than just posting a link and your opinion, try to encourage discussion. Ask whether people agree or disagree, pose questions, ask for clarification from people rather than assuming something. In short, be open about discussing a subject rather than being provocative from the get go.

Poor min. Many times he posts threads with links that are news related or politics related and doesn't include much more than brief commentary. Is this to say that he can no longer include his witty one-liners?

We would rather see some attempt at starting a discussion. This is, after all, a discussion forum. We aren't a news site, people really shouldn't be getting their news from here at all, considering that in all likelihood there is a left-wing bias among members. I would rather like to see continuous, developing threads about certain newsworthy subjects that multiple small threads about every small thing that happens.
Well then someone needs to make sure that Min gets the memo.... meanwhile I'm gonna go hide in the corner Big Grin
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I'm just saying what we'd prefer to see, I'm hoping the community can take that in mind when they create a new thread. There's no rule that says you have to encourage discussion, but it certainly helps when you do.

This announcement is more about provocation than anything.
(November 1, 2017 at 12:38 pm)Shell B Wrote: I think Min's witty one liners are clearly his opinion, so wouldn't be a problem. That said, if we have to start labeling everything we say that's opinion, that's baloney.

I'm going to start calling you guys The Babysitter's Club.

Hehe. Usually babysitters don't hammer customers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Future of the Forums (Discussion) Tiberius 130 19851 May 6, 2020 at 9:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger