Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just now on CBS This morning a rabbi/ my OP ED
Just now on CBS This morning a rabbi/ my OP ED
Please theists, regardless of label, I see similar motifs in many religions, this is simply another I object to.

"Suffering is good, because it teaches empathy."

NONSENSE, 

If suffering was good, then our species would not invent things to reduce suffering. We would not have evolved to make our lives easier, such as going from naked hunter gatherers, nomadic, to the point of making clothing and building housing. We would not seek to stop crime, or find cures for diseases.

If suffering is so damned beneficial then why build tornado basements? Why create new vaccines for the flu?

Survival and cooperation create empathy, our evolutionary drive to survive create empathy, not our desire to suffer.

This morning a Rabbi said this, but in Asian religions, you'd get the argument, without yin yang.

Bad happening is natural, but it is not something we as a species desire, nor is physical harm or death required to have empathy for others. I find that notion sick. 

Childhood cancer isn't teaching anything, not to the kid, not to the parents. STUDYING the causes are what give us answers and we should not glorify suffering as if it is a good thing. 

Pain is natural, death is natural, cruelty and compassion are all natural. But to call suffering a good thing to me is sick and counter productive.
RE: Just now on CBS This morning a rabbi/ my OP ED
(November 15, 2017 at 10:01 am)Brian37 Wrote: Please theists, regardless of label, I see similar motifs in many religions, this is simply another I object to.

"Suffering is good, because it teaches empathy."

NONSENSE, 

If suffering was good, then our species would not invent things to reduce suffering. We would not have evolved to make our lives easier, such as going from naked hunter gatherers, nomadic, to the point of making clothing and building housing. We would not seek to stop crime, or find cures for diseases.

If suffering is so damned beneficial then why build tornado basements? Why create new vaccines for the flu?

Survival and cooperation create empathy, our evolutionary drive to survive create empathy, not our desire to suffer.

This morning a Rabbi said this, but in Asian religions, you'd get the argument, without yin yang.

Bad happening is natural, but it is not something we as a species desire, nor is physical harm or death required to have empathy for others. I find that notion sick. 

Childhood cancer isn't teaching anything, not to the kid, not to the parents. STUDYING the causes are what give us answers and we should not glorify suffering as if it is a good thing. 

Pain is natural, death is natural, cruelty and compassion are all natural. But to call suffering a good thing to me is sick and counter productive.

We suffer because of our sinful selves and when we realize that we have been the cause we will seek God. does this lessen the suffering we experience maybe, maybe not. But when we have God in our lives we have the comfort, understanding and peace of our creator who understands all things.

You hold a lot of stock in mankind even as he is destroying this world. Report out today that we may have breached the threshold and can't stop what is to come, yeah we did real good.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Quote: We suffer because of our sinful selves

We suffer because of your constant whining about what a piece of shit you are.

You know what?  I agree with you.
(November 16, 2017 at 1:18 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: We suffer because of our sinful selves

We suffer because of your constant whining about what a piece of shit you are.

You know what?  I agree with you.

Yup.  Just the same old humblebragging.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sunday Morning Mass chuckle drfuzzy 3 1817 August 17, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Rabbi Ben Judah prophesy / Jubilees/ Kondratief wave professor 4 1199 April 18, 2014 at 9:51 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
Exclamation Rabbi - why sucking a baby's penis in circumcision is good?! Woody68 9 3976 August 31, 2013 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Meet Rabbi Batshit Minimalist 4 2116 January 16, 2012 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist