Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mom's idea of a good path
Question 
My mom's idea of a good path
She told me that we all need a path in life and that Christianity ca help you with that, it has some good rules and ideas  that need to be followed. The thing is, she doesn't follow most of these rules, not even a half of them, she acknowledges that many rules are stupid. Also, There are so many ideologies that she doesn't believe: she doesn't believe in Hell, in the original sin and so on. Many of the very few ideas in which she believes don't originate from Christianity and/or have been changed through time. Not to mention that I disagree with some ideologies which she supports. Atheism doesn't have any rule on how to live your life, I can be atheist and still agree with some christian rules, or rules from any religion for that matter.
She believes that going to Church makes you feel happy. So going to a place where many practices take place, which have a meaning in which you don't believe, are repetitive, very strict, outdated and unspectacular makes her feel happy. You can meet people and feel like you belong somewhere, but you don't talk much to other people in church. You don't do almost anything with them directly. In fact, you communicate more with people in laic places.
She claims that imaginig a God makes you feel happy. So I need to run away from reality in order to feel good? I can't do that, reality will not change no matter how much I want it to. I love fiction, I use it to escape reality, not to replace it.
She also knows that many scientists aren't religious, she told me that out loud, and I didn't ask her opinion on this matter. So why is she so insistent about faith? Why does she tell me that I need a religion to have a path in life? She doesn't claim that this is the only good way, but still. I know that she feels comfortable in her box, but why does she wish so much for me to stay in that box?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Afterlife in Heaven or Hell vs reincarnation
I will be happy when my brain functioning goes off line I think. I don't want to continue beyond death. None of the options are very good. I guess reincarnation. I would go on living but have no idea of my past life or lives so I guess it wouldn't seem different to me then if it weren't the case. I don't want eternal torment and don't want to praise a god I would resent if he existed for eternity.
They are both make believe, one is just more punishing.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Statistics on suicide, murder, drugs related deaths, other crime is epidemic. Crazy faith isn't all that bad in comparison.
RE: My mom's idea of a good path
I will agree there are some things christianity gets right. And most of those ideas, like the golden rule, don't originate with christianity. Hence I am not a christian, even if I try to follow things that Jesus happened to believe were rules to live by.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Here's a better path:

1. Do what makes you happy
2. Don't be a dick to others
3. If 1 makes you violate 2, reassess, and try again
logic missing

church makes her happy so church is good?
ergo
cocaine makes me happy so cocaine is good?

no hell or original sin but still christian?
need religion to be good a shows lack empathy.

she is scared you wont blend in like a good sheep & life will be tougher as a minority
basic heard instinct out of concern for you

you don't need to debunk her or argue, its reassurance you are ok, will be ok & have good values she needs

christianity isn't morally good, doesn't teach the golden rule & past & present day history shows that

if you want to discuss with her id start with, why of all the religions should you pick christian?
you could highlight me living in a 90% buddhist country & ask if that means I should be Buddhist by default or point to india that's 80% (guess) hindu

hope that give you some ideas, all the best

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1341 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3272 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Disappointment in God's idea purplepurpose 19 3338 December 4, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  What A Fantastic Idea! Minimalist 4 1101 July 3, 2016 at 10:57 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  My fundy mom made this comment on Facebook TheRocketSurgeon 27 6477 March 24, 2016 at 9:14 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  An Old Idea I Had About The (Hebrew) Word "Adam" (relates to Quran also) ReptilianPeon 1 1453 February 5, 2016 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Idea of a God Is Not So Crazy LivingNumbers6.626 36 7761 April 22, 2014 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  What A Great Idea! Minimalist 18 6614 October 10, 2013 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Beta Ray Bill
  Being a priest - a shameful path of life? Ciel_Rouge 33 16835 August 11, 2012 at 5:26 am
Last Post: jonb
  Idea For A Story Xavier 11 4628 March 30, 2012 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Welsh cake