Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My fundy mom made this comment on Facebook
My fundy mom made this comment on Facebook
So I log in to Facebook this morning, only to see this comment made by my Southern Baptist (fundamentalist evangelical) mother, who is otherwise very intelligent (and has her PhD in theater and performing arts) about the upcoming election. I didn't want to start a fight on FB or in other ways embarrass her for it, but I just had to sit there a minute and roll this one around in my brain...

I know she has been opposed to Hillary Clinton since Bill was in office, so I'm not surprised by that remark. And she actually posted a surprisingly insightful critique, from a Christian POV, of Trump... but I'm trying to figure out how Sanders gets lumped into that mix. Here's what she commented:

RocketsMom Wrote:D*** P*** R*** If Trump, Clinton, or Sanders wins the Presidency, it will prove to me that God has taken His favor from our country and given us the leader He thinks we deserve.

Seriously, mom? When God sends us a Jew who gives away free stuff and feeds the hungry (Matthew 14), worries about the poor and critiques the wealthy (Matt. 19:24), defends the humanity of prisoners (Matt. 25:36), and says we should put others first and treat everyone the way we want to be treated (Matthew ch. 6-7), it's "withdrawing His Favor"???

No wonder the Temple got razed only 40 years after that guy arrived on the scene in Judea!
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

RE: My fundy mom made this comment on Facebook
Your mom should not blame fucking god for the stupidity of the 'murrican electorate.  She doesn't sound like a very good xtian to me.
But, Sanders is pro-choice! Everyone knows this is the most important issue to Jesus! Oh, and that the gays can't get married!
So which nut does she support: Cruz or Carson?
Yikes, sorry Rocket Man!
I can imagine my mother would post something similar.  Except she would probably be praying for Cruz or Rubio to win (whoever talks more about the Bible is the one she would vote for) and saying that if they don't, it means the rapture will happen very very soon . . . she'll get taken up to be with her Lord, and then all the stupid evil non-believers are gonna BURN . . .        (glory hallelujah!).
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(February 26, 2016 at 12:01 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: So which nut does she support: Cruz or Carson?

Yes?

I think she's a big fan of Carson because of his outspoken evangelical bullshit... but Cruz is pretty good at parroting that line, so I suspect she'd be just as happy with him.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(February 26, 2016 at 12:08 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Yikes, sorry Rocket Man!
I can imagine my mother would post something similar.  Except she would probably be praying for Cruz or Rubio to win (whoever talks more about the Bible is the one she would vote for) and saying that if they don't, it means the rapture will happen very very soon . . . she'll get taken up to be with her Lord, and then all the stupid evil non-believers are gonna BURN . . .        (glory hallelujah!).

That sums it up in a nutshell.

Both my parents have very high IQs... it's why I'm so amazed at the power of the religious memes to destroy the minds of people who otherwise have such capacity for reason. In any field not related to Biblical Truth™, they're quite pleasant, rational, and even insightful.

As I've mentioned before, one of my favorite things to watch is my Beloved, when we visit, since they loooooooooooove her because she's a devoted Christian... except she's also  an evolutionary biologist, with a specialty in genetics/biochem, so she just can't resist taunting my dad by entering into discussions of chemistry with him (he's a Chemical Engineer) that lead to him being forced to think about the fact that it's child's play for anyone with a working knowledge of Atomic Theory (upon which all chemistry is based) to prove that the earth is older than 6000 years. Hehe.

That's on the same line as the Catholic dogma of every authority coming from god. Funny, this did work with Hitler, but Stalin seems to have sailed under god's radar. At least as far as the church was concerned.

But there's another, more down to earth explanation. If Trump happens to win in the States, it only shows that a majority of bigoted idiots have moved their asses to the voting booths.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Lol.. I think God withdrew his favor when we elected Nixon? Wink

Or did he? We have been doing pretty good since then..
I actually agree that America does deserve Trump or Hillary if they end up getting elected, but it has nothing to do with God. It's simply because the majority of Americans don't take seriously the process of electing the most powerful individual on this planet. They've allowed the media to turn it into a reality show and simply have no appreciation or realization of their individual or collective role in the process.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Made in God’s image. Yuk. Not me thanks. Greatest I am 20 2956 July 25, 2020 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1299 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Made for TV/ about Cleveland abductions. Brian37 0 339 November 13, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2872 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A friend of mine posted this on Facebook and couldn't help but laugh GODZILLA 28 4967 March 23, 2018 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Amazon Alexa said Jesus/God is fake/made up/fictional? uncool 33 5401 February 2, 2018 at 12:05 am
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Do you think aliens made us Roberto 73 11514 January 25, 2018 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My dad made me laugh unintentionally Der/die AtheistIn 16 5937 January 2, 2018 at 2:12 am
Last Post: Athene
Question My mom's idea of a good path Der/die AtheistIn 6 1084 November 27, 2017 at 2:19 am
Last Post: chorlton
  Carl Sagan: A Universe Not Made For Us Minimalist 28 7219 May 6, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Crunchy