Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belief in magic
Belief in magic
I never thought few years ago that there are billions of people who believe in magic, especially that said magic can magically "chew" your body for some time if your bad. Although, it's better than statistics about millions of people who went even farther and add to yearly count of murder and other crimes.
RE: Belief in magic
I always pick the Elementalist subclass. Because fire, ice and lightning is cool as fuck.

Especially fireballs Big Grin
I've loved magic all my life, but to say I believe in it would be a bit of a stretch.

What I really would like to do, though, is discover a scientific basis and methodology for it and make it real.
(November 28, 2017 at 12:17 am)Astreja Wrote: I've loved magic all my life, but to say I believe in it would be a bit of a stretch.

What I really would like to do, though, is discover a scientific basis and methodology for it and make it real.

You mean like actually saw the woman in half?
(November 27, 2017 at 10:50 pm)Hammy Wrote: I always pick the Elementalist subclass. Because fire, ice and lightning is cool as fuck.

Especially fireballs Big Grin

I really liked the pen and paper RPG Mage: The Ascension. It had a few basic premises:

Magic was a literal reshaping of reality
Reality is, by and large, constructed through consensus (most people believe the earth is round, gravity is real, etc.)
If a Mage performs magic that violates that consensus - especially if it's performed in front of non-Awakened witnesses - it generates a Paradox
A Paradox is bad. Reality will attempt to self-correct, in a variety of ways, almost all of them bad for the Mage because they're the source of the Paradox

Since it was a White Wolf/World of Darkness game, it was a lot more collaborative than other games. No preset spells or abilities... you had to describe what you wanted to do. So, the in-game magic was only limited by your power levels, the Paradox mechanic, and your imagination. So, yeah, you could hurl fireballs at onlookers if you had the prerequisite power levels, but reality would snap back. Hard. But if you decided to target someone with a lightning bolt during a thunderstorm, there would be little to no Paradox to contend with.

The system, on the whole, made a lot of sense to me. It was also somewhat prescient. Some of the main bad guys were those that sought to shape the consensus of reality to their own nefarious ends. We're seeing that now in this 'fake news' era.
(November 28, 2017 at 12:36 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(November 28, 2017 at 12:17 am)Astreja Wrote: I've loved magic all my life, but to say I believe in it would be a bit of a stretch.

Hell, that's easy.  Happens every year somewhere in the country.

The hard part is putting them back together.  No one has managed that yet.
(November 28, 2017 at 12:36 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:

You need magic for that?  Angel

No, I'm thinking more in terms of D&D-type magic.  Doesn't even have to be high-level spells, either; give me Magic Missile and half a dozen other 1st or 2nd level spells, and I'd be happy as a clam for years.

Only thing I've learned so far is that you can control effects by controlling causes.  Figuring out how to control causes, 'tho, is going to take some more research.   Wink
(November 28, 2017 at 1:44 am)Astreja Wrote: give me Magic Missile and half a dozen other 1st or 2nd level spells, and I'd be happy as a clam for years.

It seems that you specifically want Magic Missile in your repertoire. Has someone been bothering you lately?
Yes magic is real, though you might know it by it's alternate name "theoretical physics" Tongue
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Of course magic is real.  Well, real enough to make David Blaine rich.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question beyond belief jerrrmandible 19 1396 June 28, 2019 at 7:59 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Magic Eye Game Foxaèr 50 5430 May 24, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Joods
  Explain This #1: Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 23 3134 January 16, 2018 at 6:55 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peanut Gallery Thread for Explain This #1: Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 22 3678 January 12, 2018 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  3, that's the magic number... Ben Davis 15 710 July 22, 2017 at 2:18 am
Last Post: Alex K
  State your religious belief, and your OS of choice Vegamo 10 2336 January 14, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: pocaracas
Big Grin ROFL! Holy Man Tries To Kill Non-Believer With Black Magic (Video) Big Blue Sky 12 3705 June 10, 2013 at 12:49 am
Last Post: justin
  Opinion vs Belief VoiceOfReason 16 4955 June 15, 2010 at 8:10 am
Last Post: Pippy