Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:56 pm

Poll: Is it arrogant to use the word 'opinion' instead of 'belief'?
This poll is closed.
Yes, that is arrogant.
0%
0 0%
No, opinion makes sense.
100.00%
16 100.00%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinion vs Belief
Opinion vs Belief
So, not long ago I was having a fairly reasonable conversation with a Christian when it took a surprising turn.
"So what do you believe?" I was asked.
"In my opinion, we-" I began to answer.
"Opinion? I asked what you believe!" she restated.
"Well, I don't really 'believe' in things." I told her, "I need proof before I agree with an extraordinary claim. Once you have proof, no leap of faith is required. So this is my opinion."

Suddenly, I was being berated- not for my lack of Christianity, but for a strange form of political correctness I've never heard before. So I ask you all, is it 'arrogant' of me to state my views as opinion (as in conclusions drawn from fact) rather than belief?

Also, has anyone else encountered this? I hope this is an isolated incident and not a new outbreak of the ridiculous.
RE: Opinion vs Belief
Let's see....

In my opinion, John McCain is an asshole.

I also believe that John McCain is an asshole.

My evidence for both is that he picked Sarah Fucking Palin to be his VP running mate.

I think the words are interchangeable.
Wut?

[Image: errr-wrong-room-o.gif]
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Semantic wankery on both sides, conflating 'belief' and 'faith'.

Faith is belief without evidence,but a belief can be based on evidence. EG my belief the sun will rise tomorrow or my belief in the theory of evolution.

My opinion may or may not be based on evidence. (or the lack of evidence).

It is my opinion that there is probably no god.

I believe that like all human behaviour ,religion has function.

It is my opinion that Fred Phelps is a hateful old bigot and probably mentally unwell.

It is my opinion that Barrack Obama is a mediocre president, more style than substance.

It is my opinion that Pepsi tastes better than Coke.

I consider any belief I hold to be an opinion supported by evidence.
All good points. I just prefer to avoid the word 'belief' because of all the faith associations. I've had people jump all over less. (See above story for example...sigh)
It's a pet peeve of mine when I want to get to the reasons why I don't think there is a god and someone decides to go on a tangent over wording. So I get overcautious, yet apparently not overcautious enough to make it to my point...
My opinion is that your xtian friend is an idiot.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Opinions = beliefs. Utterly interchangeable. Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
No it's not arrogant because everyone has opinions. Unless that means everyone=arrogant... in which case, where's the worry?

EvF
I wouldn't say that either poll choice is apt.

Certainly I don't think belief and opinion are interchangeable. I think a belief is more pragmatic, that you choose to beleive ion something for a reason. In contrast, an opinion is a nice way of quantifying your reality so that it can disagree with others and not create a giant kerfuffle. A belief can really never be proven, per se, and an opinion is not held on it's moral or personal value, just it's thruthiness to the speaker.

I beleive in some gods and goddesses, and I suppose it is of my opinion that they exist, but to me those are very different statements. That I beleive is subjective, that I hold an opinion tries to make the concept objective, that it should hold true for everyone (in theory).

Do you guys believe there are no gods, hold the opinion there are no gods, or just plain old fashion know as much?
Do you guys believe there are no gods, hold the opinion there are no gods, or just plain old fashion know as much?
[/quote]

There is no evidence for god/gods this leads me to the conclusion that there is no god/gods.

This, in turn, leads me to the belief that there are no god/gods in the same way that I believe there is no elephant in my kitchen.

If for some reason I started finding large round poos and suspicious tracks on the floor I may have to re-evaluate my elephant in kitchen stance, until then I shall go on believeing there is no elephant in the kitchen.

My beliefs are based on evidence and observation not lies and fairy tales. (which is how I see all the religious texts I have knowledge of).

I will go further, I 'know' that the abrahamic god is so unlikely and such an obviously man made construct that I can 'know' with a reasonable level of confidence that it does not exist.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Asking your opinion Foxaèr 11 540 November 23, 2020 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Covers that are (in your opinion) better than the origionals Theswordismyleopard 15 735 August 30, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Covers that are (in your opinion) better than the origionals Theswordismyleopard 0 183 August 29, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Theswordismyleopard
  An Opinion Grows In Brooklyn OP ED Brian37 0 259 August 30, 2019 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  A question beyond belief jerrrmandible 19 1403 June 28, 2019 at 7:59 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Explain This #1: Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 23 3162 January 16, 2018 at 6:55 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peanut Gallery Thread for Explain This #1: Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 22 3694 January 12, 2018 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is being a theist immoral in your opinion? Catholic_Lady 53 5204 January 8, 2018 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Belief in magic purplepurpose 37 5528 November 29, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The "strike" and my personal opinion Foxaèr 36 5172 April 16, 2015 at 2:27 am
Last Post: DeadChannel