Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 7, 2024, 9:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate it when people quote from the Bible
I hate it when people quote from the Bible
I hate it when people quote from the Bible. It's like quoting Harry Potter. Doesn't substantiate anything real that matters.
Schopenhauer Wrote:The intellect has become free, and in this state it does not even know or understand any other interest than that of truth.

Epicurus Wrote:The greatest reward of righteousness is peace of mind.

Epicurus Wrote:Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get,

What is terrible is easy to endure
RE: I hate it when people quote from the Bible
It's occasionally useful to shut up theists but besides that I agree - bible is just irrelevant.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
It’s about as useful to quote as, say, the complete works of Shakespeare. That said, I can’t expect anyone to treat the Bard’s word as absolute truth, either.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 25, 2024 at 2:27 pm)Disagreeable Wrote: I hate it when people quote from the Bible. It's like quoting Harry Potter. Doesn't substantiate anything real that matters.

There are actually some good bits here and there among the stupid:

‘Let there be an equality among you. Give to those in need.’

‘Be merciful, kind, humble, loving, and forgiving to one another.’

‘Be gentle and patient with all others.’

‘Do not oppress the poor, whether the be slaves, neighbours or strangers.’

‘Let us therefore follow after things which make peace.’

‘Do good unto all men.’

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(July 25, 2024 at 3:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: There are actually some good bits here and there among the stupid:

Jesus wept.
god regretted

The bears eating children is nice. And women need to know their place and keep quite is another. But the best is suicidal pigs.

Maybe I've been reading it wrong and it's really an absurd dark comedy.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 25, 2024 at 2:32 pm)Ivan Denisovich Wrote: It's occasionally useful to shut up theists but besides that I agree - bible is just irrelevant.

Right -- useful to point out contradictions, otherwise a shitfest.

The buybull, like any work of fiction has bit of truth it builds around. I'm sure some of those stories actually happened, just not to the extent they are exaggerated to. Like dad's fish story, yeah, dad caught a fish, it just wasn't Moby Dick. Those who generally quote from the buybull, typically do not understand how words work. The buybull is literal when in coincides with whatever short sighted, bigoted, intolerant, laughable nonsense they are pushing, however, when it diverges and oppose anything in their silly little repertoire, it is metaphorical and should not be valued as godiboi's unvarnished gospel.

Contradiction, is also lost on these complete and utter fools, their tiny, little 0.25 watt bulb either completely shuts down and they avoid all other interaction, or they regurgitate spiteful, vindictive, hate infused quotes from the guud buuk, because again, words are hard, especially when you have use them on the fly.
I usually quote The Silmarillion back at them.  Hehe
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the religious defense of this Jesus Christ quote? Disagreeable 61 1902 August 26, 2024 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 1176 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  hate WinterHold 11 1655 November 21, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 12785 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  People in bible never existed according to head of Theology at a university in UK! MellisaClarke 79 16759 January 3, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 8271 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christian in need of help (feeling uneasy about God quote)!! MellisaClarke 99 33169 May 29, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Add your favorite JESUS QUOTE in this thread for comedy relief!! 21stCenturyIconoclast 33 5118 January 22, 2017 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations? goombah111 101 27531 November 14, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: goombah111
  What I love, What I hate, What I want, What I believe. WinterHold 9 1801 July 18, 2016 at 5:52 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi