Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kid dies
Kid dies
Kid dies - goes to heaven? Adult life's few decades as atheist - can get send to years of torture, for example, not even mentioning eternity, according to the popular religion.

This stuff is retarded.
RE: Kid dies
Nothing about the heaven/hell dynamic makes any sense. The most moral atheist would be condemned to hell and the least moral Christian would be allowed into heaven as long as they repent at the end.
(January 6, 2018 at 2:52 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Nothing about the heaven/hell dynamic makes any sense. The most moral atheist would be condemned to hell and the least moral Christian would be allowed into heaven as long as they repent at the end.

depends on which denomination you believe
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I was thinking about this earlier. Heaven and hell are a manifestation of the imagination of people who recognize that the world isn't fair, and can't accept it. They are completely unable to accept reality as it is, and so they imagine a reality in which everybody gets what they deserve. But the people who thought it up were primitive people, with primitive ideas about justice. To them, their enemies deserved the worst punishment imaginable, and the good people deserve the best results possible. It's stupid and absurd. But modern religious people are shackled to the past, and so they endorse such infantile fantasies.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'm more concerned about kids born to hell.

[Image: 1iYivkt8_o.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
If your a parent then you know that little kids deserve hell just like grown-ups! Little , maniacal, evil, outwitting maniacs!  Big Grin
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(January 6, 2018 at 3:16 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I was thinking about this earlier.  Heaven and hell are a manifestation of the imagination of people who recognize that the world isn't fair, and can't accept it.  They are completely unable to accept reality as it is, and so they imagine a reality in which everybody gets what they deserve.  But the people who thought it up were primitive people, with primitive ideas about justice.  To them, their enemies deserved the worst punishment imaginable, and the good people deserve the best results possible.  It's stupid and absurd.  But modern religious people are shackled to the past, and so they endorse such infantile fantasies.

*bold mine

There is a great deal of truth to all this, and while i was re-thinking my Christianity this was my last thread of hope i held onto this was the only thing that would make any sense at all, to make the world just in any way. This is what I used to teach regarding the problem of evil and i could see the comfort it gave people, pity like most platitudes it was simply an illusion.

Of course now the reality is simply that we really are on our own, that humanity has to do this. Humanity is responsible for it's own justice, indeed humanity has made baby steps in this area. I wont see it, neither shall you but i'm convinced that one way or another it is inevitable.

Even then it may be an illusion but, I can do what I can, it's given me purpose and a reason that shines even brighter than the faith I once held so dear, One of us can only make the tiniest difference, but that difference will count to our children, and our children's children. In the same way dependence on the supernatural spread we can teach reliance on self, the next generation to look the universe in the eye and the need to get on with our fellow humanity.

Religion has failed miserably it's time for a newer braver future free of irrational fear, this is what i fight for now, it's time to build for our children's children.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
As I understand their concept of heaven, I didn't think that goats got in.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 6, 2018 at 2:52 pm)Tiberius Wrote: The most moral atheist would be condemned to hell and the least moral Christian would be allowed into heaven as long as they repent at the end.

And don't cha just love how the Christian Coalition justifies its influence of gov't because "Christians are moral exemplars". As you have just shown, the religion doesn't emphasize morality at all.
Jeffrey Dahmer found Jesus in prison, before he was murdered by another inmate. Even though he kidnapped young men, injectected battery acid into their brains, killed them and ate parts of them... He’ll get to spend eternity in heaven? Christ on a cracker, how is that just? Thankfully, there is no rational evidence for heaven or hell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In Buddhism Where Will Souls Go if they Haven''t Reached Nirvana Before the Sun Dies? Rhondazvous 11 2092 November 21, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: LuisDantas
  Who Dies For A Lie? Nope 48 12227 January 30, 2015 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Nope
  Richard Dawkins Dies... Broseph Ballin 8 2059 August 15, 2014 at 2:20 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Woman suffering miscarriage denied abortion and dies of blood poisoning in Ireland LarissaAnn 20 10220 November 15, 2012 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Snake handler dies at 44 Jackalope 20 9099 June 5, 2012 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Kid Friendly Atheist Music, SCIENCE IS REAL ( tmbg ) darkblight 4 3770 May 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: darkblight