Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hypocrisy of the chrisitians related to me
The hypocrisy of the chrisitians related to me
I live in Romania and my dad and me have gone to a catholic church every sunday from some time. There are 3 liturgies every sunday: one in romanian, one in hungarian and one in german. Since I'm learning german we're going to the german one. I must admit that even though I'm atheist and pretend to like the ceremony it does help me exercise the language, so there's that.
Anyway, there is a chick that works at that church and reads some verses from the Bible during the ceremony. I don't know her function, she surely isn't a priestess since the Catholic Church fobids that.
Dad doesn't know german, so he asked me after the ceremony if I remember anything she said which I don't. He told me that I should pay more attention, since I can learn something from Bible stories. Stories like what? Like sacrificing your kids if God demands you that? And he doesn't really want you to, just wants to test your loyalty. And he's all knowing so why does He test it in the first place? Like how God flooded the entire Earth because the people he made and gave total freedom weren't moral? Like how Adam and Eve were punished after eating the forbidden fruit and the sin went on the next generations? And God's solution to that was to send his own son to earth, who is also himself and The Holy Spirit, to be born by a virgin and then be cruxified for our sins? Or many more "beautiful" stories like that?
He's a moderate christian, doesn't believe in Hell and aknowledged that some parts of the Bible were written by primitive men, like the Earth being flat. Yet the Bible is his moral code? He said you don't have to look at it literally, but the book was clearly written to be taken literally. And taking it figuratevly doesn't necessarly mean that I'll get the intended message. For example I can assume that The Smurfs is propaganda for white supremacy, it doesn't mean it's true.
It might help you be moral if you follow the opposite of what it's teaching. Sure there are some good morals, but they're outnumbered by the bad ones, and many verses contradict one another.
Funny thing about my family members. They claim that religion helps them be moral but if you point out to them what I wrote above they would reply: "The Bible was written a long time ago, you shouldn't follow every single rule from it. We have a religion because imagining that a God exist makes us happy".
You know what would make me happy? The thought that Hitler was a loving leader, who gave equal rights to all races and made free speech possible. That he managed to succed without violence and because of him WW2 was prevented. I could say: "I'm a nazi, Mein Kampf is my moral code, it is true that Germany was badly treated at that time. Sure it has some parts about aryan supremacy and encourages murder and many other horrible things, but you shouldn't follow them, you need to imagine totally different things.".
If anyone said those things about Nazism my family would consider them insane, but if they say it about Christianity it's ok.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: The hypocrisy of the chrisitians related to me
Well , there are stories that you can learn from , for example the one in wich Jesus explains why he speaks in parables.
But I think you are too busy hating religion , it is unhealty for you. You rejected it but that doesn't mean that you have to throw spears at it every second of your life .
Quote:Well , there are stories that you can learn from , for example the one in wich Jesus explains why he speaks in parables.

You'd think if fucking jesus were speaking to a bunch of illiterate peasants that he would keep it as simple as possible.... or is that not in keeping with your whole bullshit story?
You gotta pick pick pick out those lovely little cherries like a good christian. The bible is to be taken literally until it's not and it was inspired/written by god until it wasn't  Jerkoff
"History is something that very few people have been doing while everyone else was ploughing fields and carrying water buckets." -Yuval Noah Harari
(January 7, 2018 at 7:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Well , there are stories that you can learn from , for example the one in wich Jesus explains why he speaks in parables.

You'd think if fucking jesus were speaking to a bunch of illiterate peasants that he would keep it as simple as possible.... or is that not in keeping with your whole bullshit story?

I was thinking more about the conclusion that you can draw from the story , but someone likes to think in stereotypes. I say bible and you say christian okey ?
LOL, if he does not understand German then insert whatever story might horrify him. Bears killing children, bashing baby skulls, rape is OK as long as you pay the father, ...........

You might need to study up: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 7, 2018 at 4:25 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: The hypocrisy of the chrisitians related to me

(January 7, 2018 at 4:25 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: I'm atheist and pretend to like the ceremony

The lesson of the speck in the other person's eye and the plank in your own might be appropriate...
(January 8, 2018 at 9:23 am)alpha male Wrote:
(January 7, 2018 at 4:25 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: The hypocrisy of the chrisitians related to me

(January 7, 2018 at 4:25 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: I'm atheist and pretend to like the ceremony

The lesson of the speck in the other person's eye and the plank in your own might be appropriate...

Or it might be just maintaining a low profile. Being "not like us!" can be dangerous if you think God is on your side.

Panty-unbunching: Generic "you" used.
(January 8, 2018 at 9:23 am)alpha male Wrote:

I am atheist and I pretend that I'm christian, so I admit that I'm a hypocrite too. But you know why I pretend? I pretend because I still depend financially on my parents and telling my family the truth will result into verbal fights and anger. Plus there are other things happening in my life right now, coming out will make them harder. Many christians I know are full grown adults who have freedom to leave religion and they choose not to. 
I'll stop being a hypocrite when I'll become finacially stable.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
Sounds like the problems of the above atheists have more to do with dicey family relationships than religion per se.

(January 8, 2018 at 6:29 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: I'll stop being a hypocrite when I'll become finacially stable.

At least now you can put a price on your integrity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9378 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Hypocrisy in Xianity hiddentrails 14 2461 September 4, 2017 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  search Science Related topics Dinosaur Creationist: The Flintstones was a zebo-the-fat 24 4552 May 28, 2015 at 9:23 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Religious people do not have a monopoly on Hypocrisy Phatt Matt s 6 2136 March 24, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s