Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electrical short somewhere in my mobile home.
Electrical short somewhere in my mobile home.
The front room lights and outlets don't work. Went back to my fuse box, one was tripped, but reset it. Usually that puts everything back on, but this time it did not. Tripped the main too, turned it off then back on still nothing.

So as it stands now, I have to run a extension cord from my living room into my front bedroom. Oh well, I was planning on buying a new home anyway so I guess this is one more thing to work around until then.

All my fuses are in the on position, so something is blown somewhere. I am not going to pay an electrician to fix it considering I am planing on buying a new home anyway.
RE: Electrical short somewhere in my mobile home.
Yeah , a wire is fucked somewhere you may need a multimeter to check for that.
Just for the hell of it, look around and see if you have any GCFI outlets.  These have "on" and "off" buttons on the face plate.  Make sure they are all on if you find one.  

There are different types but they look something like this.

[Image: gp-dg15wwb_1.jpg?itok=iyLIP5Ff]
^^^

Ordinarily you'd only expect to find a GFCI in a circuit serving a bathroom, kitchen, or outdoor outlet but who knows what's been done to the wiring since your mobile was first installed.
(January 9, 2018 at 1:11 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Just for the hell of it, look around and see if you have any GCFI outlets.  These have "on" and "off" buttons on the face plate.  Make sure they are all on if you find one.  

There are different types but they look something like this.

[Image: gp-dg15wwb_1.jpg?itok=iyLIP5Ff]

It's 40 years old, they didn't have trip outlets back then.

I am getting a new home after I get back from Australia anyway so. Just ran an extension cord from my living room. Going to get another one from my van to run my lamp too.
(January 9, 2018 at 1:22 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It's 40 years old, they didn't have trip outlets back then.

Sure they did. My childhood home had them, we moved into it in 1977.
Fuses need to be replaced once blown. Circuit breakers can be switched on again, not fuses. So unless Americans use different terms, a fuse can NOT be reset.

If your circuit breaker keeps tripping, there is an electrical fault. Otherwise, replace blown fuse/s.
(January 9, 2018 at 1:04 pm)Brian37 Wrote: The front room lights and outlets don't work. Went back to my fuse box, one was tripped, but reset it. Usually that puts everything back on, but this time it did not. Tripped the main too, turned it off then back on still nothing.

So as it stands now, I have to run a extension cord from my living room into my front bedroom. Oh well, I was planning on buying a new home anyway so I guess this is one more thing to work around until then.

All my fuses are in the on position, so something is blown somewhere. I am not going to pay an electrician to fix it considering I am planing on buying a new home anyway.

If you have power on at the breaker, but things are still off, then you have a wire that came off, somewhere in the circuit (could be the hot or the neutral).    When you turn the breaker on and off, does anything turn on/off with it?  If you have a broken wire, then I would recommend shutting off that breaker.   When it's daylight take off covers of outlets/lights look and smell for a wire that is off.

Although, it could be no power at the breaker, even though it seemed to reset.   Does it feel and sound normal, when you switch the breaker?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(January 9, 2018 at 1:22 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It's 40 years old, they didn't have trip outlets back then.

I am getting a new home after I get back from Australia anyway so. Just ran an extension cord from my living room. Going to get another one from my van to run my lamp too.

If you're selling your current (pun?) dwelling, having no electricity to part of the home will hurt the asking price. Not sure but it may not even pass inspection to let you sell it.

Just bite the bullet and get it fixed.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
What RR and Mark said. An open circuit that is live can have lethal effect if you inadvertently contact it with the breaker on. Before you remove any switch plate or outlet covers for a sniff test, turn that breaker off. If you don't feel like it is safe for you to do, get an electrician to look at it. Your life could be at risk, leaving that breaker on under the current conditions.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ten Short Years Foxaèr 6 703 March 15, 2023 at 11:29 am
Last Post: brewer
  Your ideal home office/computer pit. Gawdzilla Sama 4 743 August 25, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What's yer footcovers at home, cas like? Gawdzilla Sama 28 1237 February 14, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  I'm home Edwardo Piet 9 1752 December 3, 2017 at 7:16 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Mobile home trailers, remodel or replace? Brian37 22 3060 September 9, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Work From Home Water Cooler Thread Shell B 43 4435 July 24, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Free to a good home. Expired 12 3354 October 18, 2016 at 5:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  New short series: Candidate Profile ANoble 10 1374 July 31, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I'm Home dyresand 24 2827 May 7, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Home sleep aids? Losty 40 3711 April 20, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Angrboda