Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner's Guide to Atheism.
Beginner's Guide to Atheism.
I see threads, here and elsewhere, that are started by people who have come to the realization that they are atheistic. They usually begin with "what now?" My contributions are usually along the lines of "be safe!" when they ask if they should "come out" to family, friends, work-place people, etc. I've seen really good suggestions and really stupid suggestions. 

To wander around to a point-like object, I think we should have a thread with a list of resources for the newly-freed minds to consult at what is sometimes a very trying and confusing time. I would hope the staff would keep such a thread on topic, removing/relocating troll posts, etc. 

Thoughts?
RE: Beginner's Guide to Atheism.
All they should know is that Jesus won't give up on them and their submission is a matter of time.
(January 14, 2018 at 7:44 am)purplepurpose Wrote: All the should know is that Jesus won't give up on them and their submission is a matter of time.

This is why the staff will need to vet posts. Keeping the trolling down would be essential.
Since newly-minted atheists might have some residual doubts about their new outlook, it might benefit them to hear some strong arguments in favor of atheism. The documentary version of Dawkins' The God Delusion does a good job of driving those final nails into the coffin of theism.

Here is a link to the youtube video: https://youtu.be/uQ7GvwUsJ7w
Cool. A recommendation list for videos would be a good resource! Mr. Deity, The Thinking Atheist, The Atheist Experience, and so on.

We could also list help sites, like The Clergy Project. And references, like The Skeptic's Annotated Bible, and Iron Chariots.

A newly freed mind has the options of "winging it" with Google, or asking for help, or just seeing a list of resources they can sort through according to their own state of mind. This forum is a logical place for them to start.
As a good 'jumping off' resource, I would strongly suggest

https://www.thoughtco.com/atheism-for-beginners-248052

For newly-minted atheists.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Sadly, many of the young folks familiarize themselves by checking into the wrong YouTube atheist channels, and simply wind up indoctrinated into a new brand of garbage.

Or they find themselves mortified, and don't want any association with "atheism". I suppose those types might find alternative resources useful.
Making mistakes is part of an education. Making fewer mistakes is the sign of a successful education. Wink

A partial purpose of this guide would be allow nuanced judgment of poor information sources.
(January 14, 2018 at 7:51 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Since newly-minted atheists might have some residual doubts about their new outlook, it might benefit them to hear some strong arguments in favor of atheism. The documentary version of Dawkins' The God Delusion does a good job of driving those final nails into the coffin of theism.

Here is a link to the youtube video: https://youtu.be/uQ7GvwUsJ7w

How sad VL.  Angel

You chose a loser such as Dawkins  Banghead to try to tell that there are benefits in being an atheist.
The loser Bangheadcriticize religions in his drive to show that atheism is good.
Religions are based on dogmas (unproven beliefs taken as real truth) and dogmas are the most easy thing to knock down so by looking at that video people may come to the believe that what Dawkins say make sense.
In fact Dawkins doesn't make sense at all.
The loser  Banghead   doesn't get that religions do not represent God point of view.
In order to demonstrate that atheism is good the loser Bangheadshould have left religions and their dogmas alone and try to understand whether it make sense to be an atheist or not by using other ways such as to where evolution my take us or whether the universe may have been created by someone or not.
Fools unfortunately take from what religions say rather than trying to study more interesting topics.  Lightbulb
Thread now ruined.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An atheists guide to reality StatCrux 143 46232 April 23, 2018 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27101 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12467 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Atheist Parenting Guide freedeepthink 62 7356 October 8, 2014 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12138 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
Smile Atheist Guide Into HighSchool. All Knowing Hippie 6 4786 August 2, 2012 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: C.W. Sims
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12004 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38075 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack