Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An atheists guide to reality
An atheists guide to reality
Alex Rosenberg, (in his book "An atheists guide to reality") at last an honest atheist who admits that ultimately atheism when taken to its logical conclusion leads to lack in intentionality, lack of meaning or purpose in life and nihilism. If only a few more atheists admitted this to the general public we would be a lot better off. The true colours of atheism are coming out.
RE: An atheists guide to reality
Then he should go kill himself.
[Image: fuckyougifpunxxxpunxxxgif-81ec8e20e12c95...76ca9a.jpg]
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
His views on supervenience are rather flawed.

He has considerations that social hierarchy is predicated upon the simplest forms of natural existence. This position largely excuses us as responsible moral beings and thus encourages a nihilistic outlook on life.

It's rather bleak to hold that regard yes. But he doesn't define all atheists, just as the Westboro Baptists don't represent all of Christianity.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
(March 2, 2014 at 12:58 pm)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote: His views on supervenience are rather flawed.

He has considerations that social hierarchy is predicated upon the simplest forms of natural existence. This position largely excuses us as responsible moral beings and thus encourages a nihilistic outlook on life.

It's rather bleak to hold that regard yes. But he doesn't define all atheists, just as the Westboro Baptists don't represent all of Christianity.

The problem for atheists is that his position is logically consistent with atheism, its the atheists that try to maintain that intentionality, meaning, purpose in life etc are consistent with atheism that have the problem. I agree with Rosenberg, I just wish other atheists would face the problem and admit that's logically where you end up, empty, meaningless and pointless existence
When Christians all start admitting that they are focusing their one existence on worshipping a figment of their primeval fear.

A guy in the sky who made them purely because he wanted attention and validation?

A supreme being so understanding of the human inadequacies he imbued, that he would condemn them in a heartbeat for daring to question him?

When that happens.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
(March 2, 2014 at 1:06 pm)StatCrux Wrote: The problem for atheists is that his position is logically consistent with atheism, its the atheists that try to maintain that intentionality, meaning, purpose in life etc are consistent with atheism that have the problem. I agree with Rosenberg, I just wish other atheists would face the problem and admit that's logically where you end up, empty, meaningless and pointless existence

Individually and socially determined meaning is still meaning, it's not invalid because some other people decided to label theirs extra special and omniscient. A lake has no intentionality either, that doesn't sap all the joy out of swimming in it.

You're trying to erect a problem where there isn't one.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 2, 2014 at 1:09 pm)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote: When Christians all start admitting that they are focusing their one existence on worshipping a figment of their primeval fear.

A guy in the sky who made them purely because he wanted attention and validation?

A supreme being so understanding of the human inadequacies he imbued, that he would condemn them in a heartbeat for daring to question him?

When that happens.

Ah, is this where you get to tell me what I believe? Sky daddy, cannibalism and all other such intellectual pearls of wisdom..Clap
(March 2, 2014 at 1:06 pm)StatCrux Wrote:
(March 2, 2014 at 12:58 pm)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote: His views on supervenience are rather flawed.

The problem for atheists is that his position is logically consistent with atheism, its the atheists that try to maintain that intentionality, meaning, purpose in life etc are consistent with atheism that have the problem. I agree with Rosenberg, I just wish other atheists would face the problem and admit that's logically where you end up, empty, meaningless and pointless existence

You have obviously confused us with people who give a flying fuck what you think.
Well StatCrux, I fail to see the great disadvantage of having overcome the simplistic and childish notions of meaning which you seem to advertise, and the reliance on a sense of purpose which has to be provided by some father figure. I call the process of overcoming this "growing up", you know...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2197 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Beginner's Guide to Atheism. Gawdzilla Sama 152 30382 January 21, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Announced disproof of Reality strengthens the atheism cosmology 11 2353 December 31, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Losty
  The flame between two darknesses: A celebration of reality FebruaryOfReason 10 4624 March 23, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Life's meaning when you are an atheist - reality, struggle, etc. bussta33 11 4363 December 11, 2015 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Wonder of Reality PhilosophicalZebra 54 9021 May 2, 2015 at 10:10 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheist Parenting Guide freedeepthink 62 7356 October 8, 2014 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  I wish to feel superior to reality (atheism) Mozart Link 73 13471 August 5, 2014 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  EX Catholic recent Atheist....hard time coping with reality. CTR8008 13 5792 December 22, 2013 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
Smile Atheist Guide Into HighSchool. All Knowing Hippie 6 4785 August 2, 2012 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: C.W. Sims