Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance?
So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance?
But why hook nose though? What if that person has disabilities. I thought it was the heart that made you evil or something?

Like illustration wise. I have feeling where they got the idea from. Just to illustrate here is an old french manuscript on Magog and Gog
[Image: Toulouse_ms_815-049v-Gog%26Magog.jpg]
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gog_and_Magog

Well kind of familiar stereotype honestly if you get what i mean.

Like i think i know where this came to be. But its at best loosly taken.

Let me first tell about what Gog and Magog is about
Also for your info "Son of a man" is also allegory for Jesus in some Christian circles.

To sum it up. Gog and Magog is essentially sort of a boogeyman for oppressing nations. Magog was originally son of Japeth who is like european related i think in terms of genealogy of the bible. Out of them Magog was his son. Not sure about Gog though, though in hebrew text Gog is an individual and is of the land of Magog. Now in Christian text in book of revelations Gog and Magog are both nations i think.

Here is some on Gog and Magog to highlight some of the stuff

Ezekiel 38:1 -11
The word of the LORD came to me:
"Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshek and Tubal; prophesy against him
and say: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I am against you, Gog, chief prince of Meshek and Tubal.
I will turn you around, put hooks in your jaws and bring you out with your whole army--your horses, your horsemen fully armed, and a great horde with large and small shields, all of them brandishing their swords.
Persia, Cush and Put will be with them, all with shields and helmets,
also Gomer with all its troops, and Beth Togarmah from the far north with all its troops--the many nations with you.
"'Get ready; be prepared, you and all the hordes gathered about you, and take command of them.
After many days you will be called to arms. In future years you will invade a land that has recovered from war, whose people were gathered from many nations to the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate. They had been brought out from the nations, and now all of them live in safety.
You and all your troops and the many nations with you will go up, advancing like a storm; you will be like a cloud covering the land.
"'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: On that day thoughts will come into your mind and you will devise an evil scheme.
You will say, "I will invade a land of unwalled villages; I will attack a peaceful and unsuspecting people--all of them living without walls and without gates and bars.

And alas. Let me set the verse which is essentially what i think was used.

Isaiah 37:29
Because you rage against me and because your insolence has reached my ears, I will put my hook in your nose and my bit in your mouth, and I will make you return by the way you came.

Isn't religion just wonderful : ) Ironic.

But yes let me know what you think.
RE: So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance?
The superstitions of the Bronze age are best left behind. We know much more now!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Quote:But yes let me know what you think. 

I think you need to up your meds. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The bad guys in the OP image have "demon noses", not "hooked noses". Literally demonizing the enemy.
(January 16, 2018 at 8:35 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The bad guys in the OP image have "demon noses", not "hooked noses". Literally demonizing the enemy.

Well its more the typical jewish nose which also is referred to ask hooked nose. Not sure if this has any relations but considering history does have its roots.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_nose

"Jewish nose or Jew's nose[1] is a racial stereotype[2] that refers to a hooked nose with a convex nasal bridge and a downward turn of the tip of the nose[3] that was singled out as a hostile caricature of Jews in mid-13th century in Europe, and has since become a defining element of the Jewish stereotype."
That castle looks more scared than the people in it do.
Well the manuscript in the picture is from 800s i think. But what i am saying the so called demon noses or whatever. In modern times its more common with jewish stereotypes, so i am more looking for history to see if there is something behind it

Jewish nose or Jew's nose[1] is a racial stereotype[2] that refers to a hooked nose with a convex nasal bridge and a downward turn of the tip of the nose[3] that was singled out as a hostile caricature of Jews in mid-13th century in Europe, and has since become a defining element of the Jewish stereotype.
(January 16, 2018 at 8:38 am)Roberto Wrote: Well the manuscript in the picture is from 800s i think. But what i am saying the so called demon noses or whatever. In modern times its more common with jewish stereotypes, so i am more looking for history to see if there is something behind it

Jewish nose or Jew's nose[1] is a racial stereotype[2] that refers to a hooked nose with a convex nasal bridge and a downward turn of the tip of the nose[3] that was singled out as a hostile caricature of Jews in mid-13th century in Europe, and has since become a defining element of the Jewish stereotype.

It's because when people are repeatedly told in hundreds of Biblical verses that they are depraved, degenerate, hopeless, lazy, ignorant, and helpless; when they are repeatedly demeaned, degraded, and debased, they will much more easily fall into a feeling of hopelessness and despair when conditions do not develop as they desire.

In conditions of that kind people will tend to look upon themselves as the source of all failure when, in reality, much of that which occurs is beyond their control. Nearly every factor of real significance in a person's life is beyond his influence. All the time the powers-that-be are telling you how free you are, that's exactly what you aren't. No wonder people are so beset with difficulties and self denigrating.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Any phenotypic difference between races/societies can become a source for discrimination.

The only valid one is hating the gingers. They are just wrong.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 16, 2018 at 8:38 am)Roberto Wrote: Well the manuscript in the picture is from 800s i think. But what i am saying the so called demon noses or whatever. In modern times its more common with jewish stereotypes, so i am more looking for history to see if there is something behind it

Of course there's something behind it. Jews were for centuries disparaged and discriminated-against in Europe. As a result, in art, they would use the nose to explicate their prejudices.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 10896 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3642 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 829 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 9871 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God get rid of the Trilobites? Jehanne 41 2766 October 24, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 3944 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3315 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  When Did the Jews Become Jres? Rhondazvous 10 987 April 29, 2020 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1298 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 786 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods