Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Live in an Ice Age?
We Live in an Ice Age?
https://geology.utah.gov/map-pub/survey-...uses-them/

so despite our efforts to keep thing nice and toasty with fossil fuels and carbon dioxide emissions, this sliver of an interglacial comfort zone will come to an end. All we need now is some garlic bread. We got the chili.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: We Live in an Ice Age?
(January 22, 2018 at 2:38 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:  this sliver of an interglacial comfort zone will come to an end. 

One way or another....and regardless of which way it ends this time..we're not prepared - but we could be!  Simple things, simple..useful..profitable things could establish a foundation for our persistence now so that when drastic change does come again, even rapid change...it won't register much more than an inconvenience. It's just a bonus that we could increase our QOL from this day to that day in preparation.

Alot easier to put the work in now...before the mass migrations begin and I'm standing on your lawn with a rifle demanding kerosene.  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
We live at the point in the long cycles that should be glacial. A look at the window confirms that predictions are iffy.
(January 22, 2018 at 2:53 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(January 22, 2018 at 2:38 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:  this sliver of an interglacial comfort zone will come to an end. 

One way or another....and regardless of which way it ends this time..we're not prepared - but we could be!  Simple things, simple..useful..profitable things could establish a foundation for our persistence now so that when drastic change does come again, even rapid change...it won't register much more than an inconvenience.  It's just a bonus that we could increase our QOL from this day to that day in preparation.

Alot easier to put the work in now...before the mass migrations begin and I'm standing on your lawn with a rifle demanding kerosene.  Wink

Here in my town there won't be a migration. Most likely, they'll be flipping through their bibles trying to find a way to shoehorn sub freezing weather into prophecies about the second coming.

What kind of preparations can we make? A one way ticket to Ecuador. Is the equator wide enough to fit all of humanity, minus the rapture freaks?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(January 22, 2018 at 4:23 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: We live at the point in the long cycles that should be glacial. A look at the window confirms that predictions are iffy.

No, we live at a point in time WE are not helping, but hurting.

It is TRUE that the planet will do what it does as it always had. What humans are needlessly doing is pouring gas on the fire. 

We stupidly think competition is like a cheetah, and that fast repeated burning of fossil fuels is speeding up what the planet would do on it's own. 

We knew as far back as the late 1890s that the amount of CO2 humans were producing was bad.
(January 22, 2018 at 6:07 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Here in my town there won't be a migration. Most likely, they'll be flipping through their bibles trying to find a way to shoehorn sub freezing weather into prophecies about the second coming.
Good, I snuck up on alot of people with their noses buried in the quran too.  Makes the whole thing easier.  Believers pray when they should fight. Wink

Quote:What kind of preparations can we make? A one way ticket to Ecuador. Is the equator wide enough to fit all of humanity, minus the rapture freaks?
Production under cover for our food crops.  Massively increased R ratings as a requirement for all new building (most likely not even possible with stick frame housing).  Dedicated city siting and planning.  The transition of all necessary infrastructure away from climate sensitive input dependencies.  

Don't even get my started....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Changing the pH of the sea water is going to be a FAR worse problem than changing the climate.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 22, 2018 at 6:09 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 22, 2018 at 4:23 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: We live at the point in the long cycles that should be glacial. A look at the window confirms that predictions are iffy.

No, we live at a point in time WE are not helping, but hurting.

It is TRUE that the planet will do what it does as it always had. What humans are needlessly doing is pouring gas on the fire. 

We stupidly think competition is like a cheetah, and that fast repeated burning of fossil fuels is speeding up what the planet would do on it's own. 

We knew as far back as the late 1890s that the amount of CO2 humans were producing was bad.

Do you have "non sequiturs only" across the top of your computer?
(January 22, 2018 at 7:50 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Changing the pH of the sea water is going to be a FAR worse problem than changing the climate.

May as well get used to catfish, tilapia, prawns and crappie now.  Wink
Prawns are forbidden . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you live on terraformed Venus? Fake Messiah 43 4136 August 5, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How low will it go? (The Artic Sea ice, that is..) Jehanne 3 482 February 11, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Arctic Sea ice now declining a month ahead of normal. Jehanne 5 907 April 12, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Bronze Age Battle in Northern Germany Minimalist 0 538 March 25, 2016 at 1:53 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Evidence for the Culprit in the Late Bronze Age Collapse in the Levant Minimalist 0 972 February 14, 2014 at 11:44 am
  Do you want to live in a world where everything can explained? L.A.F. 36 8412 June 8, 2013 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Ice Age Man on Sicily Minimalist 11 4096 December 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: cratehorus
  Across Atlantic Ice Minimalist 21 6962 February 5, 2012 at 11:05 am
  Debunking YEC claims: Empirical evidence for the age of the Earth Jackalope 5 4101 January 7, 2012 at 2:33 am
Last Post: twocompulsive
  Ice Caves in Antarctica thesummerqueen 6 3020 February 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin