Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Dawkins & Nightwish
Richard Dawkins & Nightwish
I just started listening to this band called 'Nightwish' and they have an album called 'endless forms most beautiful', one of the songs is called 'The greatest show on earth.' I'm thinking thats funny isnt that the name of one of Richard Dawkins books? So I listen. There is a male voice. Thats funny, that kind of sounds like Richard Dawkins. He speaks again, okay... that IS Richard. Did they insert some audio they found online?? No, apparently he actually recorded songs with them! And the songs are about evolution & biology. Also the album name is based on a Charles Darwin quote.

Well anyway I was positively thrilled as I am a big fan of Dawkins and Darwin.

I think it is the most beautiful song I have ever heard.

HAVE SOME PATIENCE... it is 24 minutes long, and starts getting good at around 7 minutes. But listen to the whole thing.
RE: Richard Dawkins & Nightwish
24 minutes long and doesn't start to get good for 7 minutes? Probably disqualified from greatest song ever :p. It's actually amazing how accessible dawkins was for stuff like this pre stroke. I think I heard a story of these people who wanted them in their documentary, so they just called up Princeston and asked for him and got him on the phone and he agreed to do it.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Dawkins is a science educator extraordinaire !
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(February 4, 2018 at 1:00 pm)iameatingjam Wrote: I just started listening to this band called 'Nightwish' and they have an album called 'endless forms most beautiful', one of the songs is called 'The greatest show on earth.' I'm thinking thats funny isnt that the name of one of Richard Dawkins books? So I listen. There is a male voice. Thats funny, that kind of sounds like Richard Dawkins. He speaks again, okay... that IS Richard. Did they insert some audio they found online?? No, apparently he actually recorded songs with them! And the songs are about evolution & biology. Also the album name is based on a Charles Darwin quote.

Well anyway I was positively thrilled as I am a big fan of Dawkins and Darwin.

I think it is the most beautiful song I have ever heard.

HAVE SOME PATIENCE... it is 24 minutes long, and starts getting good at around 7 minutes. But listen to the whole thing.

Couldn't agree more. I absolutely love that song and band... the fact that it is about evolution is just all the more awesome (that they managed to make a scientific but not-nerdy song). Wish there was more music like this. It's one of my favorite songs, and I think it stands alone as a masterpiece.

I find the part around 15:40 where (spolier alert) the humans are getting wrecked, and they say we were here, to be purely beautiful. I love the buildup to it, starting around 14:30, as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Nightwish Album on Darwin, with Dawkins as narrator Alex K 12 2947 April 5, 2015 at 11:16 am
Last Post: DiRNiS
  Christian Love Letters to Richard Dawkins Creed of Heresy 14 2280 February 11, 2015 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polar bear
Video 'Love letters' to Richard Dawkins Cyberman 28 4342 January 22, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Dawkins reads hate mail on youtube. Brian37 6 2343 November 3, 2013 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Owlix
  Richard Dawkins - Science, It Works, Bitches!! (video) Woody68 2 1409 April 8, 2013 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Dawkins: Sex, Death And The Meaning Of Life Justtristo 4 2236 January 26, 2013 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Dawkins and Degrasse Tyson - Poetry of Science thesummerqueen 2 1744 November 6, 2012 at 1:16 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Dawkins apparently PWND Napoléon 6 2748 May 9, 2012 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist Forsaken 91 35437 April 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Richard Dawkins VS Archbishop George Pell Oldandeasilyconfused 23 10504 April 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused