Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist
Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist
Is this real or just the media quoting him out of context?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion...exist.html
RE: Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist
He's an agnostic atheist, meaning he doesn't know for sure if gods exist, but he doesn't believe gods exist.

Honesty +1
Is there anyone who is sure that god doesn't exist? I'd like to see the evidence, personally.

What he is saying is that because there isn't a way to disprove god (how do you disprove something that doesn't exist?), he can't say 100% he doesn't believe in god. But he is 99.9999999999% sure god doesn't exist, which technically makes him agnostic - he said something like that in The God Delusion and on some talk show clip I saw on youtube.
The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true - Carl Sagan
Depends what you mean by "sure". To me, being "sure" is a measure of how much you trust what you believe, and not a measure of actual knowledge. Can people be sure and still be wrong? If so, then it is not a valid measure of knowledge.
Now we're just playing word games. Yawn.

Well my dictionary uses a different definition to your dictionary apparently. I'm not trying to play word games; I just find that one can be an agnostic atheist and still be "sure" that God does not exist. Being sure of something doesn't make it true, and being true is one if the conditions of knowledge.
I can be sure God does not exist because the word "God" is meaningless, the attributes are nonsensical, its outdated, and the concept is incoherent as no two theists have the same vision in mind or archetype regarding the god's behaviour or relationships with 'creation'. Could a higher intelligence or unknown being be responsible for creating reality? I'm open-minded to the speculation, but that doesn't necessarily mean its a "deity" that operates on "magic".

If we discover a semblance of a "god" it most probably will be an alien life-form of some sort.

[/Trekkie hat off]

To be honest forget the whole 'debate' or the media quoting someone out of context as usual. Its that bloody Baroness Warsi, the Tory party chairman, whose unchecked comments on secularism that truly disgusts me here.

If politicians are going to throw around asinine terms such as "militant secularism" (wtf does that even mean Warsi?) then I can forsee England is going holding back the rest of the UK... for a very long time.
Did some research and found out that he said the same exact thing in his book, The God Delusion, 6 years ago. So this pretty much settles it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not sure where to post this old episode of "Alice" Brian37 14 608 June 5, 2021 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheist Wiki -- Reasons that god does not exist. Jehanne 12 1275 July 18, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Richard Dawkins & Nightwish iameatingjam 3 1738 February 5, 2018 at 10:05 am
Last Post: shadow
  New Nightwish Album on Darwin, with Dawkins as narrator Alex K 12 2935 April 5, 2015 at 11:16 am
Last Post: DiRNiS
  Christian Love Letters to Richard Dawkins Creed of Heresy 14 2268 February 11, 2015 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polar bear
Video 'Love letters' to Richard Dawkins Cyberman 28 4313 January 22, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Shows that should not exist! BrokenQuill92 41 5332 January 22, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Michelle_Patton
  Dawkins reads hate mail on youtube. Brian37 6 2335 November 3, 2013 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Owlix
  Gay people exist? Go straight to jail. Foxaèr 6 2106 June 12, 2013 at 8:42 am
Last Post: littleendian
  Richard Dawkins - Science, It Works, Bitches!! (video) Woody68 2 1406 April 8, 2013 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin