Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hillel the Elder vs. Jesus
Hillel the Elder vs. Jesus
Hillel. Born in 110 BCE. Notable sayings include:

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow: this is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn" - Hillel

Jesus:  “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." Mathew 7:12

Is this evidence that the Jesus figure was a compilation of other figures with more historical reliability?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Hillel the Elder vs. Jesus
(February 10, 2018 at 1:00 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Hillel. Born in 110 BCE. Notable sayings include:

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow: this is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn" - Hillel

Jesus:  “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." Mathew 7:12

Is this evidence that the Jesus figure was a compilation of other figures with more historical reliability?

No.

Christianity as a religion has demonstrable influence and has borrowed ideas from other religions, and this trend is common to all popular religions. But that says nothing about the historical authenticity of Jesus as a person. The historical Jesus might've existed as a crazy doomsday preacher, might be an amalgamation of many preachers of the time, or a complete figment of imagination... it's almost impossible to say it with any certainty, however, the biblical miracle Jesus is very much an embellished myth.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

No. Pittacus of Mytilene beat both of the fuckers by 5 centuries.

[Image: 3960067-Pittacus-of-Mytilene-Quote-Do-no...-would.jpg]
By 560 BC the buddhists had already doctrinized the same.  From Udanavarga
Quote:Hurt not others with that which pains yourself.

I wish I could remember the thread where I took a look at this one through time and geography across the silk road.  It really is an informative turn of phrase. You'll find it well represented in china as well..all the way to the coast. It's difficult to maintain that there was ever a society that didn;t have some notion of reciprocity (it's fundamental to human pyschology and as such has been with us for at least 50k years)...but...it's specific manifestation in literary traditions demonstrates a great deal of cultural exchange. The line traveled by foot and hoof for thousands of miles over thousands of years and found itself placed into the mouths of gods and holy men everywhere it went.

As to the OP Q, if we wanted to go that route....we would have to maintain that "jesus" was a combination of hillel, and pittacus, and the buddha, and confucious, and (the list continues for some time).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Confucius too. This wiki article describes its manifold iterations from around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule
Notice the pronounced latitudinal band in historical expressions.  There's an upper and lower limit...and beyond those you don;t find it expressed in that way until contact.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Conan, what is best in life.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I know the Golden Rule has been around for ages. Hillel, however, was living at the time of Jesus (possibly) and the addition of "the whole Torah" and "this is the law" at the end of the quotations seems almost like a plagiarism. Hillel also lived in Jerusalem at the time of Herod.

Not unless "jesus" lived to be 150yrs old.
(February 10, 2018 at 4:38 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Not unless "jesus" lived to be 150yrs old.

The life of Hillel was from 110 BCE to 10 CE. That would mean he lived to be 120. Not likely. But if he were alive in 10 CE then he was a contemporary with Jesus.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus is trying to tell me something; what is it Jesus? TruthWorthy 32 13200 February 5, 2010 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Dotard