Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Biggest Valentine's Day Myths of All Time
The Biggest Valentine's Day Myths of All Time
Here ya go, from the New York Times...

If you're a Valentine's Day cynic like me you'll relate. If you like Valentine's Day, we can't be friends.

Quote:Myth: Valentine’s Day was named after St. Valentine, the Roman saint of courtly love.
Fact: You don’t need love to have a good time. You don’t even need friends.
[Image: 11hutto2-articleLarge.jpg?quality=30&auto=webp]

Myth: A St. Valentine’s key is a small metal token given in some European countries as both a romantic symbol and a charm to ward off epilepsy.
Fact: Epilepsy can be treated with medication, unlike being in love, which is often fatal.

[Image: 11hutto3-articleLarge.jpg?quality=30&auto=webp]

Myth: Ancient Romans practiced Lupercalia, a fertility rite involving the whipping of women with the raw hides of sacrificed animals.
Fact: Lupercalia is still practiced today, figuratively, through the voluntary act of online dating.

[Image: 11hutto4-articleLarge.jpg?quality=30&auto=webp]

Myth: Cupid is often portrayed as the infant son of the love goddess Venus and Mars, the god of war.

Fact: It is well known that immunity against Cupid’s arrows of desire can be attained by wearing a Bluetooth earpiece and Crocs in public.

[Image: 11hutto5-articleLarge.jpg?quality=30&auto=webp]

Myth: In some traditions, Valentine’s Day is associated with the beginning of spring.
Fact: Spring is probably not going to come this year.

[Image: 11hutto6-articleLarge.jpg?quality=30&auto=webp]

Myth: A little under half of all American couples choose not to celebrate Valentine’s Day.
Fact: A little under half of American men choose not to celebrate Valentine’s Day, because your anniversary was just a couple of months ago, and aren’t they basically the same thing?

[Image: 11hutto7-articleLarge.jpg?quality=30&auto=webp]

Myth: There were multiple St. Valentines recognized by early Christian churches.
Fact: All St. Valentines represent one disappointing person from your childhood whom you repeatedly fall in and out of love with, because like love, the cycle of dysfunction lives on forever.

[Image: 11hutto8-articleLarge.jpg?quality=30&auto=webp]

Myth: The heart symbol, long used to represent love and emotion, has only a vague resemblance to an actual human heart.
Fact: The first person to use the heart as a symbol may have had some questionable hobbies and possibly astigmatism.

[Image: 11hutto9-articleLarge.jpg?quality=30&auto=webp]

Myth: It is acceptable not to acknowledge your mother on Valentine’s Day.
Fact: No, really. It’s fine. Your father probably won’t acknowledge her either, so she’ll just see you next time your washing machine is broken. It’s not like she gave birth to you or anything.

[Image: 11hutto10-articleLarge.jpg?quality=30&auto=webp]
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/10/opini...myths.html
RE: The Biggest Valentine's Day Myths of All Time
They don't call it VD for nothing.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Can't say Valentine's Day has ever been much of a thing with my peer group or myself.

Off hand, don't recall any parties, cards, boyfriends acknowledging 2/14, nothing really . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 12, 2018 at 10:04 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Can't say Valentine's Day has ever been much of a thing with my peer group or myself.

Off hand, don't recall any parties, cards, boyfriends acknowledging 2/14, nothing really . . .

Might be a lady thing, vorls. Like tampons and dressing tiny dogs up in bows and ribbons. Smile

-Teresa
Obama is coming for your bows and arrows, that's what !!!!
Think I'd recall something. Just getting a big zero on this. Don't recall even using it as an excuse to go out to eat. I know for sure I was dating John during a February so many years ago, and we did push the romance angle a bit, but I'll be damned if I recall zip about anything Valentines Day with him.

Quite a bit of it might be Valentine's Day isn't ever moved to make a 3 day weekend if it isn't already on a Friday or a Monday, LOL!

And who'd waste a vacation day on it ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I got married on Valentine's Day. Haven't forgotten an Anniversary, yet. Tongue  We celebrate on some other day, because everybody else is in the restaurants that day.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(February 12, 2018 at 10:26 pm)Fireball Wrote: I got married on Valentine's Day. Haven't forgotten an Anniversary, yet. Tongue  We celebrate on some other day, because everybody else is in the restaurants that day.
Married #3 on Valentine's Day. Clerk of the Court made a special trip into the courthouse to perform the marriage.
We got married the day after valentines day...which is the day before her birthday.  It's a big party.  We got an airbnb in Lex, and a babysitter for 48 whole hours....we're gonna burn that bitch down, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Fuck Valentines Day.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your all-time favorite hallucination? Gawdzilla Sama 43 2816 September 29, 2018 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The biggest thing I've learned as I've got older is... robvalue 80 4906 September 27, 2018 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  The biggest threat to humanity... The Valkyrie 15 1666 June 10, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Once again time for how much time you've spent here Foxaèr 23 2673 April 5, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Tuesday is the day we wait all December for... Gawdzilla Sama 20 1831 December 24, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Tired All The Time Without Coffee Edwardo Piet 52 5671 August 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 8779 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  25 Common Myths Minimalist 1 457 April 5, 2017 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Happy Canada Day all you Canadians!! c172 5 1088 July 1, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: c172
  Your biggest flip flop Napoléon 61 4043 April 24, 2016 at 7:50 am
Last Post: robvalue