Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Influenza is not just changing; it is evolving!
Influenza is not just changing; it is evolving!
I received the following letter a few weeks ago from one of our school nurses; I could not help but reply.  (Names have been redacted to protect the "innocent".)

Quote:Parents and Guardians:
You may be aware of news reports about the severity of influenza across the United States that has hospitalized many and has been associated with a higher number of deaths than in past years. The number of influenza cases are at high levels in our community. In order to decrease the potential spread in your child’s school, <redacted> County Public Health has recommended that all students with a fever above 100.0 F be excluded from school until they are fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing medication. The 24 hour school exclusion policy will continue through the remainder of the influenza season. If your child has a fever, whether discovered at home or school, they need to stay home until they are fever free, without medication, for 24 hours.
What is the flu?
Influenza (the flu) is an infection of the nose, throat, and lungs caused by influenza viruses. There are many different influenza viruses that are constantly changing. The flu viruses spread mainly by droplets made when people with the flu cough, sneeze or talk
Symptoms of influenza appear suddenly and often include:
·         Fever of 100.4°F to 104°F, when symptoms first develop. Fever is usually continuous, but it may come and go. Fever may be lower in older adults than in children and younger adults. When fever is high, other symptoms usually are more severe.
·         Body aches and muscle pain (often severe), commonly in the back, arms, or legs.
·         Headache.
·         Pain when you move your eyes.
·         Fatigue, a general feeling of sickness (malaise), and loss of appetite.
·         A dry cough, runny nose, and dry or sore throat. These symptoms may not be noticed during the first few days of the illness when other symptoms are more severe. As the fever goes away, these symptoms may become more evident.
·         Symptoms can last from 5 to 7 days.

How to protect yourself and others:
·         Teach your children to cover their mouth and nose with a tissue or elbow when coughing or sneezing
·         Wash hands frequently
·         Avoid touching eyes, mouth or nose
·         Keep your child home when they are sick
·         Practice/encourage other good health habits like eating well, drinking plenty of fluids, getting enough sleep
·         There are still 12 weeks of influenza season left and it is not too late to get a flu shot!!
Although this year’s vaccine is not as effective as in past years, some research suggests that the flu vaccine may help decrease the severity of symptoms you experience.
If you have any further questions, please speak with your school nurse or your health care provider.
Thank you and stay well!

My reply:

Quote:Ms. Whoever,

The flu virus is not just "changing"; it is evolving.  If more people understood this, Darwinian evolution in action, fewer illnesses and deaths would result.

Sincerely,

"Me"
RE: Influenza is not just changing; it is evolving!
No, no, no. It takes an intelligent designer to make these changes. This is evidence of gods hand at work in out daily lives.

This is just one of his methods to bring his creations home, as it is his will.

Shame on you. Keep it up and he'll give you a stroke. Then we'll see what you have to say.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Psssshhh...that’s god-patented micro evolution.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
To be fair to the school nurse, even if they knew that it was evolving they'd probably choose to use 'changing' because they'd consider it more important that their message about flu was heeded by everyone.
Remember, Jesus made the viruses so they can continue to make people sick no matter what we do.

FSM Wink
Then fuck him!
(February 18, 2018 at 4:52 pm)Mathilda Wrote: To be fair to the school nurse, even if they knew that it was evolving they'd probably choose to use 'changing' because they'd consider it more important that their message about flu was heeded by everyone.

We, in the US (and, in evangelical Iowa where I live), really need to get over our trepidation regarding Darwinian evolution.
I'll believe it when a virus turns into a crockoduck or something.
Evolution is just a theory!!

The changing influenza virus is the result of Martians trying to kill us through bio warfare.
Dying to live, living to die.
My 7-year old daughter was diagnosed with Influenza A today; she's on Tamiflu.  She is giving every indication that she is going to be fine, but she will be out of school for at least 3 days.

This afternoon after the diagnosis was called-in from the doctor's office, my wife told me, "I think that they should give all the kiddos at school Tamiflu."  I told her that influenza "was evolving", and if "everyone got Tamiflu, the virus would soon evolve resistance to it, as it is constantly mutating."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Game changing face from 3.8 million years ago Fake Messiah 18 1430 December 22, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just one more reason to not spawn. Gawdzilla Sama 7 921 January 12, 2018 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sometimes Science Just Should Not Bother Minimalist 20 7010 April 15, 2013 at 12:14 am
Last Post: WithoutShame
  Swallows Seem To Be Evolving to Avoid Cars pocaracas 34 6876 March 24, 2013 at 7:06 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  7 Animals that are Evolving Right Before Our Eyes Jaysyn 53 14182 June 7, 2011 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Statler Waldorf