Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swallows Seem To Be Evolving to Avoid Cars
Swallows Seem To Be Evolving to Avoid Cars
Quote:Swallows that nest on roadsides appear to have evolved shorter wings to help them maneuver better and avoid cars, claim a team of scientists from the University of Tulsa in Oklahoma.
[...]
The results, published in Current Biology, show that the wings of vehicle-killed birds have lengthened over time, while those which died accidentally in nets—and are representative of the entire population—developed shorter wings over time.
in
http://gizmodo.com/5991279/swallows-seem...t=58389216
RE: Swallows Seem To Be Evolving to Avoid Cars
So one group aims for greater lift, the other for a smaller target capture opportunity.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Swallows get depressed about having longer wings as they don't pull the chicks.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

That's not evolution FYI.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I have observed many a avian individual behaving as though they have adapted to us humans in/on vehicles.

Mind you ....parrot species here in Oz are really really stupid
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 22, 2013 at 8:03 am)Aractus Wrote: That's not evolution FYI.

How is what is happening not evolution? This population of birds is adapting to their changing environment. Change in frequency of alleles within a population over time is the definition of evolution.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(March 22, 2013 at 8:03 am)Aractus Wrote: That's not evolution FYI.

Care to explain why not?
Damn we didn't even make it past Page 1 before a comment like that was made...
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
It is too much for Aractus to swallow Big Grin
I think what he means is that it's an example of natural selection.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does this seem like a no brainer to anyone else? brewer 9 836 April 20, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Influenza is not just changing; it is evolving! Jehanne 10 833 March 5, 2018 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  7 Animals that are Evolving Right Before Our Eyes Jaysyn 53 14333 June 7, 2011 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Statler Waldorf