Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debunking the myth about Red Shirts
Debunking the myth about Red Shirts
The following video debunks via  statistics the Star Trek /Pop culture myth that red shirts are unlucky  . And that in fact being a red shirt is in fact the safest colour to be. 

(And don't worry it's not even three minutes)
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

RE: Debunking the myth about Red Shirts
Indeed. Here's a breakdown in chart form... http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/databa...deaths.htm

Rather interestingly "Regarding the places in which crew members were killed, the Enterprise proved to be just as unsafe (29 casualties) as the surface of an unexplored planet (27)."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 26, 2018 at 3:08 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Indeed. Here's a breakdown in chart form... http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/databa...deaths.htm

Rather interestingly "Regarding the places in which crew members were killed, the Enterprise proved to be just as unsafe (29 casualties) as the surface of an unexplored planet (27)."

Awesome chart  Big Grin

I always thought the  claim seemed fishy while i was watching the Star Trek but i had no numbers to back it . Good to know my hunch was right these years .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Turned inside out by a transporter malfunction remains a personal favorite of mine.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

My only regret is it makes Scotty seem slightly less badass. On the other hand  James Doohan makes up for that by losing a finger and still kicking Hitlers ass 

[Image: 9a-james-doohan-missing-middle-finger.jp...=632%2C414]

Inuit Proverb

IDK if I agree with the whole "immortal character" approach. It breaks the fourth wall in order to make in-universe claims. Tsk, tsk. Highly illogical, Captain.
(February 26, 2018 at 3:11 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Turned inside out by a transporter malfunction remains a personal favorite of mine.

Yeah jesus that's brutal .

(February 26, 2018 at 3:19 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: IDK if I agree with the whole "immortal character" approach. It breaks the fourth wall in order to make in-universe claims. Tsk, tsk. Highly illogical, Captain.

True but i want Scotty to live .  Sad

Inuit Proverb

(February 26, 2018 at 3:08 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Indeed. Here's a breakdown in chart form... http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/databa...deaths.htm

I skimmed through the chart.  Pretty impressive (and I thought I had a lot of free time).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Ex Astris Scientia is one of my favourite sites. The level of detail in it is scary.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
In "Star Trek: Into Darkness" Kirk tells the ensigns to remove their red jumpers before they leave Enterprise. Doesn't help, they don't make it off the Klingon home world.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Patriarchy is a myth Macoleco 6 695 February 18, 2022 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  T-shirts you would like to see onlinebiker 10 1337 August 9, 2019 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Which is grammatically more right - "red new car" or "new red car" ErGingerbreadMandude 55 6961 January 24, 2018 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  For Red Dwarf fans: uncut versions robvalue 37 2550 December 27, 2016 at 4:52 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Just A Video Debunking Racists Mechaghostman2 20 3525 March 20, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
Information How Rimmer saves Red Dwarf Aractus 0 952 March 16, 2016 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Myth, liberals hate the private sector. Brian37 48 4858 January 29, 2016 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
Lightbulb Breaking the myth: Incandescent bulbs don't last Aractus 37 4095 January 16, 2016 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Gas Sation Blessing Haz Tasty Splashing Red Fruit Punch Gatorade Edwardo Piet 16 2515 January 10, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  My first attempt at a debunking video... ReptilianPeon 7 1119 June 25, 2015 at 7:43 am
Last Post: beat15