Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do Atheists Help[ People?
How Do Atheists Help[ People?
My sister just published a book in which she advises young women on how to make right decisions based on their relationship with god. Of course, nothing in the book is actually useful unless you believe in god.

Caveat:
How can I criticize christian outreach when I don't know what atheists are doing to help young people, grieving people, hungry people. Religious groups help people by lying to them, but the people do feel like they're being helped. What do we do? Are there groups that give secular help without the religious strings attached to it?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: How Do Atheists Help[ People?
We do not tell them to waste their lives waiting for magic to suddenly happen if they just BELEIVE.

Really, what better message is there for the modern world?
There are tons of secular groups doing all sorts of charity work for all sorts of causes. They're not that hard to find with a google search. The one thing you need to remember is that religion (specifically Christianity in the west) has had literally thousands of years of monopoly on the whole 'charity' idea, so they have a massive head start in terms of numbers and money.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Here is a partial list of secular organizations that help people.
There are so many secular charities and advocacy groups in the US and certainly in the rest of the world as well. I currently work at one, in D.C., so I've seen a ton of organizations. Maybe one was Christian. Though atheists may work at or donate to secular and religious organizations if they believe they have a good message and spend the donations justly. Their religious affiliation doesn't matter most of the time.

As for what an individual might do... I don't see a difference between an atheist deciding to be kind and do good and a Christian deciding to do the same. It literally does not matter.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
All the money saved on not building Sunday palaces and all the overhead associated with running a competitive religion is available for other uses.

Saving billions in pedophile civil judgments too . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Some secular organizations: UNICEF, Amnesty International, Doctor’s Without Borders, S.H.A.R.E., Goodwill Industries. They don't use "obligatory part of the money" to build castles, jets, jewelry, cars etc like religious charitable organizations do.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Yeah,...secular organizations FILLED with religiously motivated people who have chosen to work through those organizations. (speaking from experience on this one)
And y'know, secular organizations filled with atheists too.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Personally, only in the portuguese food bank, with any spare time. Sorting and forklifting stuff.

Why is religion infesting human empathy? It needs not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1943 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Have you met people criticizing atheists who use the expression OMG Der/die AtheistIn 30 4186 April 3, 2019 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2198 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Are US Atheists just people with daddy issues? Ronia 22 8840 August 20, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14330 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheists unite and help persuade Ambiguous Atheist 14 2660 December 2, 2016 at 3:01 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Can Atheists and Religious people be one? Phatt Matt s 14 3839 March 28, 2014 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Are atheists ready to go to SPPaace, help me grab the helmets and let's go ;) Trino34 1 790 November 15, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Would you like if all people became atheists? Simsim 61 12251 June 20, 2013 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  Study says coming out as atheist can help reduce prejudice towards atheists TaraJo 20 8440 February 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: festive1