Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God is completely inadequate to explain anything whatsoever
God is completely inadequate to explain anything whatsoever
In the article "Brains Wide Shut" published in a collection of them appearing in the book The Brain, Patricia Churchland disparages Daniel Dennet's book Consciousness Explained for adequately explaining nothing about consciousness.  She argues there are four criteria for pronouncing a theory of consciousness as adequate.  Such a theory must explain the main properties in sufficient detail to satisfy four conditions:

1)  we understand how macro events emerge from the properties and the organization of the micro events;

2)  novel phenomena can be predicted;

3)  the system can be manipulated;

4)  and it is clear at what level of brain organization the phenomenon resides.

So it occurred to me that of all the things God has been alleged to explain, I wonder how nearly adequate Churchland would find any such explanation.  Regarding the creation of the cosmos, what level of God's properties and organization are thought to account for it?  Regarding supernatural manipulation reported in miracles, can this God theory predict when new instances will occur?  Regarding the vouchsafing of objective moral values, what aspect precisely of God's organization explains such a thing?

Consciousness has the reputation of being the "hard problem", but compared to Christian god theory it is simple.  Leastwise the way forward to an adequate theory is not problematic.  Neuroscience will simply continue to unravel the brains complexity until something satisfying emerges.  No pathway toward an adequate God theory seems possible where its advocates start out assuming the ways of God are beyond their powers.  In place of theory, Christians just advocate compliance with the organizing principles of religion.  But then the ends of religion never were to explain origins or morality or the supernatural.  The ends of religion have always been appeasement.
RE: God is completely inadequate to explain anything whatsoever
What?! Microscopic jesus-particles flowing across your synapses and sprinkling soul-dust into your brain stem is not a satisfying enough explanation? You, and your impossible standards, Whateverist. 😉
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Thank Odin I was vaccinated relatively early.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Oh well, must be God's will that we accept our puny inadequacy. At least we can lord it over the atheists who lack the gods to explain anything!
A wonky and multi-self-contradictory God theory seems entirely adequate to explain tens of thousands of schisms in His preferred church.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 8, 2018 at 5:34 pm)Whateverist Wrote: In the article "Brains Wide Shut" published in a collection of them appearing in the book The Brain, Patricia Churchland disparages Daniel Dennet's book Consciousness Explained for adequately explaining nothing about consciousness.  She argues there are four criteria for pronouncing a theory of consciousness as adequate.  Such a theory must explain the main properties in sufficient detail to satisfy four conditions:

1)  we understand how macro events emerge from the properties and the organization of the micro events;

2)  novel phenomena can be predicted;

3)  the system can be manipulated;

4)  and it is clear at what level of brain organization the phenomenon resides.

So it occurred to me that of all the things God has been alleged to explain, I wonder how nearly adequate Churchland would find any such explanation.  Regarding the creation of the cosmos, what level of God's properties and organization are thought to account for it?  Regarding supernatural manipulation reported in miracles, can this God theory predict when new instances will occur?  Regarding the vouchsafing of objective moral values, what aspect precisely of God's organization explains such a thing?

Consciousness has the reputation of being the "hard problem", but compared to Christian god theory it is simple.  Leastwise the way forward to an adequate theory is not problematic.  Neuroscience will simply continue to unravel the brains complexity until something satisfying emerges.  No pathway toward an adequate God theory seems possible where its advocates start out assuming the ways of God are beyond their powers.  In place of theory, Christians just advocate compliance with the organizing principles of religion.  But then the ends of religion never were to explain origins or morality or the supernatural.  The ends of religion have always been appeasement.
Here here 

God is non explanation
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

[Image: 6SgvwbB.jpg]
Lets face it, some people need god mentally. Fear, care taker, father figure, eternal existence promise, judge, manipulation, tribe/herd urge, ...................

If they didn't, religion would have died out ages ago.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 8, 2018 at 6:27 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Lets face it, some people need god mentally. Fear, care taker, father figure, eternal existence promise, judge, manipulation, tribe/herd urge, ...................

If they didn't, religion would have died out ages ago.

People demand Gods even if they aren't religious.  They want someone to control them and to tell them what to do and what to think and how to act.  So they will eagerly elevate one of their group to be their God.  They will follow him to the bitter end, even if it means their own destruction.  

You see that behavior all the time in movies and in real life.  A criminal tells his buddies that they need to go lynch someone and they get all worked up and eagerly do his bidding.  A politician tells his sheep that they should oppress another group and they jump at the opportunity to please him.  

Religious con men use the idea that there's some celestial deity in charge but it's just them who are pulling the strings.  They are no different than the leader of a lynch mob or criminal gang.  In the Bible the character Moses is a perfect example of this.  He used religion and force to enrich himself and his gang of thieves.
INB4 "You don't know what you're talking about! God is a necessary being! Bla, bla, bla!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Um, should we do anything special today (Maundy Thursday) ?? vorlon13 27 5040 April 14, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Atheists, how would you explain these Christian testimonies? miguel54 44 9401 August 28, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Not enough to do anything about it, though. Minimalist 8 1479 May 31, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Christians: Please Explain Aractus 43 9773 December 10, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Do Any Christians Actually Know Anything About the Sadducees and the Pharisees? Jenny A 30 6528 September 20, 2015 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Please Explain Shuffle 26 5851 August 26, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Shuffle
  Are Evolution and Christianity Completely Incompatible? SamS 93 17129 July 15, 2015 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Can someone explain this to me ? Genesis 1. Science 110 20228 November 23, 2014 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Nope
  To explain knowledge of God Godscreated 290 35388 October 25, 2014 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7195 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist