Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Would You Respond to Salaam Alaikum ?
How Would You Respond to Salaam Alaikum ?
So, a Jew says to you Shalom.

A Muslim says Salaam.

How do you respond?

I would respond in kind. I wish you peace!

Catholics also! And peace be with you!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: How Would You Respond to Salaam Alaikum ?
(March 11, 2018 at 9:39 am)chimp3 Wrote: So, a Jew says to you Shalom.

A Muslim says Salaam.

How do you respond?

If you know how to speak Arabic, and you want to return the greeting ("Salaam Alaikum") in kind in Arabic, you say "wa aalaikom as-salaam" ("and peace upon you").

That said, I've never had a Muslim say this greeting to me in my homecountry (Lebanon), probably because they only tend to say this to other Muslims. To Arabic-speaking non-Muslims, they seem to just go with "salaam", "marhaba" ("hello") and the likes.
(March 11, 2018 at 9:44 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(March 11, 2018 at 9:39 am)chimp3 Wrote: So, a Jew says to you Shalom.

A Muslim says Salaam.

How do you respond?

If you know how to speak Arabic, and you want to return the greeting ("Salaam Alaikum") in kind in Arabic, you say "wa aalaikom as-salaam" ("and peace upon you").

That said, I've never had a Muslim say this greeting to me in my homecountry (Lebanon), probably because they only tend to say this to other Muslims. To Arabic-speaking non-Muslims, they seem to just go with "salaam", "marhaba" ("hello") and the likes.
I had a girl friend from Lebanon. She and her family would respond "Ma Salaami". I assume that is less formal than " Wa Alaikum As Salaam"?

I'm hard of hearing, so I would have asked the person to repeat themselves until I understood its implications and ignored it.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 11, 2018 at 9:49 am)chimp3 Wrote:
(March 11, 2018 at 9:44 am)Grandizer Wrote: If you know how to speak Arabic, and you want to return the greeting ("Salaam Alaikum") in kind in Arabic, you say "wa aalaikom as-salaam" ("and peace upon you").

I had a girl friend from Lebanon. She and her family would respond "Ma Salaami". I assume that is less formal than " Wa Alaikum As Salaam"?

That actually means "goodbye", "maa" meaning "with" and "salaameh" meaning "peace". Both Christians and Muslims in Lebanon say that.
[Image: mal-wut.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 11, 2018 at 9:53 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(March 11, 2018 at 9:49 am)chimp3 Wrote: I had a girl friend from Lebanon. She and her family would respond "Ma Salaami". I assume that is less formal than " Wa Alaikum As Salaam"?

That actually means "goodbye", "maa" meaning "with" and "salaameh" meaning "peace". Both Christians and Muslims in Lebanon say that.

My grandmother was Christian and Lebanese/ Syrian. She and her siblings also used that phrase.

(March 11, 2018 at 9:57 am)chimp3 Wrote:
(March 11, 2018 at 9:53 am)Grandizer Wrote: That actually means "goodbye", "maa" meaning "with" and "salaameh" meaning "peace". Both Christians and Muslims in Lebanon say that.

My grandmother was Christian and Lebanese/ Syrian. She and her siblings also used that phrase.

Should've known you had Arab roots
"Gezundheit."
Probably with a confused look. I only know english.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2174 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2029 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Who would you rely on to help you out? Cod 18 1329 January 8, 2019 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  How would you respond? (A social experiment) Foxaèr 53 5739 March 24, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would you do if you woke up one day to find you were the last person alive? Edwardo Piet 64 16350 October 16, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: c172
  What would you do if you could remember every single moment in your life? c172 11 2466 October 13, 2017 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What would you do if you found out I didn't exist? Edwardo Piet 4 806 October 7, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Question Do you think someone would pay you for sex? Losty 184 14935 May 17, 2016 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  If you could remove your need for sleep, would you? Ashground 31 3801 November 12, 2015 at 6:08 am
Last Post: Reforged
  How would you react to a gay person who found you TOTALLY repulsive ? vorlon13 294 27063 September 30, 2015 at 7:42 am
Last Post: robvalue