Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 9:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Pam Reynolds famous Near Death Experience
Question about Pam Reynolds famous Near Death Experience
Hey guys! 

So I'm sure many people (even those who do not study NDEs extensively) are aware of Pam Reynold's NDE.  It is usually cited as the best proof for Out of Body experiences being a result of the soul leaving one's body.

In her experience, not only is her brain monitored throughout the whole operation, her brain is totally flat lined.  Here is a quick quote of her experience:

"When all of Pam's vital signs were stopped, the doctor turned on a surgical saw and began to cut through Pam's skull. While this was going on, Pam reported that she felt herself "pop" outside her body and hover above the operating table. Then she watched the doctors working on her lifeless body for awhile. From her out-of-body position, she observed the doctor sawing into her skull with what looked to her like an electric toothbrush. Pam heard and reported later what the nurses in the operating room had said and exactly what was happening during the operation. At this time, every monitor attached to Pam's body registered "no life" whatsoever. At some point, Pam's consciousness floated out of the operating room and traveled down a tunnel which had a light at the end of it where her deceased relatives and friends were waiting including her long-dead grandmother. Pam's NDE ended when her deceased uncle led her back to her body for her to reentered it. Pam compared the feeling of reentering her dead body to "plunging into a pool of ice." The following is Pam Reynolds' account of her NDE in her own words."  

Now, there are skeptics like Keith Augestine and GM Woerlee who claim to have explanations for what happened.  However, believers in NDEs and OBEs have reported talking to the doctor who performed the surgery, and he said that some of the skeptic arguments against the case were taken out of context.  Many doctors were present, and kept track of the time at which they performed certain procedures, so she couldn't have perceived these things without brain function.

Here is a response by a believer to the skeptics. 

"It’s a little bit irritating to read statements like that about the Pam Reynolds case! Meticulous researchers Smit and Rivas and myself (I’m not a researcher) studied this case in minute detail).

Her first veridical perception occurred when she was under burst suppression, a pattern of mostly flat brainwaves in which consciousness is categorically not possible. We have the clear statements from the surgeons who conducted the operation on this matter.

I doubt if you have any real conception of the brutality of the operation that Pam was subjected to. That’s not your fault of course; mischievous pseudo sceptics have been quite successful in spreading misinformation and downright lies about the case because they don’t like the obvious implications.

When surgeons are removing your eye socket (bone flap) to get into an area inside the skull so they can get down to the base of the brain in an area called the circle of Willis (apparently) they don’t want anyone to wake up… believe it or not. That is why they place you in the deepest anaesthetic state possible without killing the patient…burst suppression. Her EEG was monitored all the way through the operation and no brainwaves were detected at that time so it is impossible that she woke up.

However, even if she had been wide awake (as the sceptics prefer she still had
100 decibel clicking nodules (11 clicks per second) securely fixed in her ears which is comparable to hearing the sound of a pneumatic jack hammer several feet away. Pam would have heard these incredibly loud sounds in her ears if she had been awake but she never mentioned them.

Her second set of veridical observations occurred when she was not only without brainwaves, but her heart had stopped when they were starting the process of rewarming her on circulatory by pass. That occurred at 27 degrees C (I discovered that fact) a temperature at which consciousness is not possible. She was dead. And she still had the loud clicking nodules hammering away in her ear canals.

It was previously thought that this veridical observation occurred at 32 degrees C. Keith Augustine has it at 32 degrees C and refuses to change it. However even Gerry Woerlee had to admit that I was right.

So, the Pam Reynolds case is indeed absolutely solid (as it always was) but because there is no law to prevent people telling lies and spreading misinformation online, the popular misconceptions continue to this day."

Now, if her brain was really in this state and even skeptic doctors are baffled by her being able to tell them what happened, does this prove her soul left her body, or that she has a soul?
RE: Question about Pam Reynolds famous Near Death Experience
(January 18, 2019 at 3:58 pm)Jobin Wrote: Now, if her brain was really in this state and even skeptic doctors are baffled by her being able to tell them what happened, does this prove her soul left her body, or that she has a soul?

No, absolutely not. It would mean we don't currently understand the mechanism by which her brain received sensory information and processed it. It might be evidence that the brain does not need to be in a conscious state to do this.

Occam's Razor in all situations. Always seek the simplest explanations first.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
When I get a real death experiment, I will be sure to reveal my results.

I will hang around untill then.
(January 18, 2019 at 4:26 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(January 18, 2019 at 3:58 pm)Jobin Wrote: Now, if her brain was really in this state and even skeptic doctors are baffled by her being able to tell them what happened, does this prove her soul left her body, or that she has a soul?

No, absolutely not. It would mean we don't currently understand the mechanism by which her brain received sensory information and processed it. It might be evidence that the brain does not need to be in a conscious state to do this.

I see, but do you think there is a better chance that her brain in such a state still picked it up in a way we don't understand than that a soul is the cause? Don't forget she also had the classic NDE with bright lights and meeting family members who were dead.
(January 18, 2019 at 4:52 pm)Jobin Wrote:
(January 18, 2019 at 4:26 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: No, absolutely not. It would mean we don't currently understand the mechanism by which her brain received sensory information and processed it. It might be evidence that the brain does not need to be in a conscious state to do this.

I see, but do you think there is a better chance that her brain in such a state still picked it up in a way we don't understand than that a soul is the cause? Don't forget she also had the classic NDE with bright lights and meeting family members who were dead.

Of course. One explanation involves a thing which we know to be real (the brain) and of which much is still unknown to us. The other explanation involves a concept which as far as we can tell is absent in the real world.

You also seem to ignore other possibilities. Perhaps invisible aliens recorded what transpired during the surgery and uploaded the information to her brain. Is that any more incredible than a consciousness that transcends the physical body and somehow perceives physical phenomena such as sight and sound without physical sense organs?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Near death experience means nothing, I'll get interested when I see evidence of a Post death experience.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I don’t know anything about this case. Is it possible that someone in the room could have told Pam what happened and then she recounted it as if she’d seen it?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
The Reynolds case has been thoroughly debunked.
And I have personal experience myself, having recovered consciousness mid op, so I know the Reynolds case is built out of whole cloth.

Were I of a religious bent, I could see how one might cast it as "meeting jebus", but it isn't. What Reynolds experienced is no different than what a street junkie experienced when high. It's the same drug, yet the junkie gets dismissed and Reynolds doesn't.

That is industrial grade cherry picking right there.
(January 18, 2019 at 6:24 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote: The Reynolds case has been thoroughly debunked.
And I have personal experience myself, having recovered consciousness mid op, so I know the Reynolds case is built out of whole cloth.

Were I of a religious bent, I could see how one might cast it as "meeting jebus", but it isn't. What Reynolds experienced is no different than what a street junkie experienced when high. It's the same drug, yet the junkie gets dismissed and Reynolds doesn't.

That is industrial grade cherry picking right there.

But did you read the believer response to skeptics in my original question? Also many ppl accuse the skeptics of taking things out of context, so how is it thoighroully debunked?
If any of this even happened as she said it did, I think it's much more likely that we don't pick up minute brain activity, she heard some shit and her brain made up the rest.

I don't see any reason to jump from "she saw shit when she was dead" to "she has a soul."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another famous alien hoax admitted ignoramus 13 2194 September 27, 2017 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ouija Experience stonedape 14 3528 December 24, 2014 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Near Death Experiences Mystical 23 7179 May 2, 2013 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Violet