Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we morally responsible for the making of what we purchase?
Are we morally responsible for the making of what we purchase?
So I came across this video of children mining cobalt in Congolese and it got me thinking about the whole battery debate.

On one side they say we are responsible for the way children are being treated in this video because we purchased the phone, so we are providing the incentive to make children work, and putting children in these terrible conditions, with terrible futures.

On the other side though how can we be expected to know every piece in the supply chain? Is it our fault that the country wants to use child labor in mining conditions to turn a profit? Isn’t that the same thing we did here in the U.S. not so long ago? Proponents say it’s the lesser of two evils: “It is common for homeless children or those without parents or adult supervision to be pushed into the sex trade or towards other criminal activities in order to earn money to survive. In this context, working in sweatshops is a far better solution.”

https://www.triplepundit.com/2010/12/gas...ing-world/

So who’s morally responsible for them working the mines, or do you believe it’s a lesser evil and we are helping not hurting?
ForDebating.com is now in beta. 

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating 
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAd2N-...4lsJZjr6GQ
RE: Are we morally responsible for the making of what we purchase?
I think so. Going to KFC is as bad as slaughtering a chicken yourself.
They don't seem to have a lot of other options.  I don't consider starving a viable option.
You can choose to buy from fair trade, when it comes to smart phones, yes?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
I've suggested tariffs be used to discourage imports from countries with less stringent environmental protections for their manufacturing operations than ours.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Sure, we create the demand for these raw materials but its the policies of Congo that allow those specific conditions. The US has the Fair Labor Standards Act and agencies like OSHA to prevent such things.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looks like the orange man group making a come back.. Drich 190 10984 December 25, 2020 at 10:03 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Making up numbers onlinebiker 11 661 August 29, 2019 at 6:24 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  At Least The WLB Is Making The Nazis Happy Minimalist 1 671 July 24, 2017 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Anyone notice Blue states tend to me more fiscally responsible? NuclearEnergy 25 3570 March 1, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Kellyanne Conway says 2 Iraqi refugees responsible for Bowling Green Massacre Cecelia 26 3896 February 3, 2017 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Were social justice warriors responsible for the election outcome? TaraJo 172 18546 December 24, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would you think of making this a required safety feature? Ryantology 111 14645 March 4, 2014 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Taliban making a political statement! Dragonetti 4 1819 January 7, 2014 at 5:57 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  To what extent is a rape victim responsible for the crime? Something completely different 81 22278 October 2, 2013 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
Photo Do you think that politicians should be punnished for making wrong decisions? Big Blue Sky 16 4352 August 20, 2013 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet