Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone notice Blue states tend to me more fiscally responsible?
Anyone notice Blue states tend to me more fiscally responsible?
Was bored this evening and decided to look at the debt by U.S. state and I noticed something. Red states spend more than they make in revenue and Blue states it's just the other way around.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

The top left there's an option to view state debt

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: Anyone notice Blue states tend to me more fiscally responsible?
You mean there is smear, hypocrisy and malice in the right wing? No!
You may find this interesting, too.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/mich...ederal-aid

Quote:Top 10 States That Rely Most on Federal Aid

There's a definite red-shift.
Not that I think it makes a big difference, but I wonder why they left revenue from liquor sales out of their calculation?

Quote:In its calculations, the Tax Foundation noted that “general revenues includes state taxes and fees, but excludes utility revenue, liquor store revenue, and insurance trust revenue.”
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
This is one of those facts that send the conservative cockroaches scurrying to the insult bag. When presented with the fact that Commie-fornia utterly kicks the shit out of every red state in the union in terms of wealth, suddenly we're communists. When the flood happened last week and the week before, red state rubes were expressing glee over it.

God, I wish secession was a realistic possibility. It isn't, but it's nice to fantasize about California, Oregon, and Washington just bailing the fuck out and leaving that giant swath of red dirt and rocks to its own ignorant devices.
(February 25, 2017 at 11:19 am)Opoponax Wrote: This is one of those facts that send the conservative cockroaches scurrying to the insult bag. When presented with the fact that Commie-fornia utterly kicks the shit out of every red state in the union in terms of wealth, suddenly we're communists. When the flood happened last week and the week before, red state rubes were expressing glee over it.

God, I wish secession was a realistic possibility. It isn't, but it's nice to fantasize about California, Oregon, and Washington just bailing the fuck out and leaving that giant swath of red dirt and rocks to its own ignorant devices.

California indeed has a high rate of well off people. It also has one of the highest income gaps between the rich and the poor in the nation; one of he key issues of the Democrat party. The poverty rate in California is the 17th highest in the nation.

The income gap in the blue state of New York is the highest in the nation and the poverty rate is 19th highest.

Additionally, I reviewed the statistics in the OP's reference and fail to see how the statistics show that blue states are more fiscally responsible. What are the statistics that bear this out?

I also just checked and California had the 11th highest unemployment rate in the nation as of December 2016.
(February 25, 2017 at 11:19 am)Opoponax Wrote: This is one of those facts that send the conservative cockroaches scurrying to the insult bag. When presented with the fact that Commie-fornia utterly kicks the shit out of every red state in the union in terms of wealth, suddenly we're communists. When the flood happened last week and the week before, red state rubes were expressing glee over it.

Whether or not California kicks the shit out of every red state depends on how you calculate shit kicking. In 2014 Cali had a GDP of $2.31 trillion. The GDP that year for Texas which is the next largest state by population was $1.65 trillion. So yes Cali's GDP for the year was 40% larger than that of Texas. BUT, at 38.8 million the population of California was almost 44% larger than that of Texas at 26.96 million. Giving us a per capita GDP in Texas of $61,201 vs $59,536 for California. On average the people of Texas are 2.8% more productive than the people of California.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(February 24, 2017 at 10:42 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: Was bored this evening and decided to look at the debt by U.S. state and I noticed something. Red states spend more than they make in revenue and Blue states it's just the other way around.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

The top left there's an option to view state debt

Nope, don't see that at all. I see higher debt to GDP and higher debt per citizen in blue vs red (didn't look at all). What numbers are you looking at?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 25, 2017 at 2:49 pm)popeyespappy Wrote:

Whether or not California kicks the shit out of every red state depends on how you calculate shit kicking. In 2014 Cali had a GDP of $2.31 trillion. The GDP that year for Texas which is the next largest state by population was $1.65 trillion. So yes Cali's GDP for the year was 40% larger than that of Texas. BUT, at 38.8 million the population of California was almost 44% larger than that of Texas at 26.96 million. Giving us a per capita GDP in Texas of $61,201 vs $59,536 for California. On average the people of Texas are 2.8% more productive than the people of California.

Congratulations on one red state coming up 2/3 of a trillion dollars short of California's economy. And Texas can keep it's fucked up "right to work" status, which is a euphemism for "permission to pay workers an unconscionable wage."

(February 25, 2017 at 2:10 pm)Lek Wrote:

California indeed has a high rate of well off people.  It also has one of the highest income gaps between the rich and the poor in the nation; one of he key issues of the Democrat party.  The poverty rate in California is the 17th highest in the nation.

The income gap in the blue state of New York is the highest in the nation and the poverty rate is 19th highest.

Additionally, I reviewed the statistics in the OP's reference and fail to see how the statistics show that blue states are more fiscally responsible.  What are the statistics that bear this out?

I also just checked and California had the 11th highest unemployment rate in the nation as of December 2016.

California has an enormous economy and does so in spite of the fact that we're a border state that has to worry about English as a Second Language issues, send more to the fed than we receive, and have a large migrant work force. I could go on, but it's like comparing Neil Degrasse Tyson to Mitch McConnel.
Well, I mean, I think the deal is this:

Highly-populated states (like CA and TX and FL and NY and IL) are going to have decent finances regardless of their policies, because they have lots of people and reasons for people to go there and jobs want to be by people and such. So some of them are going to be blue states with good economies, and some will be red states with good economies.

But then, small states look to the big states they are most ideologically similar to, and say "well, that state has a really good (red/blue) economy, and we're (red/blue), so we'll mimic their economy and achieve success like them!" What that's really doing is kicking any kind of empirical assessment of economic decision making to the curb in favor of ideological purity, and it has really crappy consequences, empirically.

But (and this is why libertarianism isn't a sustainable economic policy, but that's a *whole other* can of worms), people by and large don't care about actual results if they like the process. The average voter in, say, Oklahoma *is literally happier* being poorer and knowing they're so super red and that their state is a "free market haven" than they would be having more money and a better economy that's based on TAXATION WHICH IS LITERALLY THEFT YO.

And, hey, don't get me wrong - the blueys do this too. NO ONE makes economic policy based on anything that could be seriously called "rational thought" at this point. The important point for the purpose of this thread, though, seems to be that the smaller blue states and blue policies *do, in reality, attain better results.* There's lots of ways to frame it, and one can analyze the reasons for it into oblivion, but I don't think it can be seriously alleged that, in any given state, "red economic policy" is going to be better for the bottom line than "blue economic policy," with the possible exception of states that derive a significant portion of their gdp from natural resources rather than workers (and there are maybe 5 such states in the union).
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 3916 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1113 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 3436 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3132 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Blue Lives Don't Exist Foxaèr 236 11228 October 17, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Vote Blue, no matter who Foxaèr 45 2926 February 9, 2020 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Prime Time
  Vote Blue No Matter Who! Foxaèr 18 1338 June 30, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Seven states bar people with a criminal record from receiving victim's compensation Angrboda 34 2253 September 23, 2018 at 5:16 am
Last Post: viocjit
  Ever notice that there are little to no trolls on sites like La Times or WaPo GODZILLA 4 691 June 30, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are we morally responsible for the making of what we purchase? Coveny 5 1029 March 16, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: rskovride