Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do foreigners think of America's cult like Patriotism?
What do foreigners think of America's cult like Patriotism?
I have always wondered this. Mostly because I feel some in this country [United States] take patriotism way way too far. For instance, not allowed to criticize the military or even choosing not to recite the pledge or standing for the flag.
RE: What do foreigners think of America's cult like Patriotism?
Yup Americans take it way too far 

Way 

Way 

Way 

Too far  Dodgy
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(March 21, 2018 at 11:36 pm)Libertarian God Wrote: I have always wondered this. Mostly because I feel some in this country [United States] take patriotism way way too far. For instance, not allowed to criticize the military or even choosing not to recite the pledge or standing for the flag.

If you have a PayPal account, PM it to me so I can send you a dollar. Then you can buy a clue about how much protest goes on in the US, and yes, students don't have to stand for the pledge (though in some places they catch some shit), and yes, again, many people are allowed to complain about the military. Just where, exactly, do you live, as regards a country?
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I wonder when it was that shit became people's idea of what it meant to be patriotic in the first place? 

My idea has always -included- criticism of whoever and whatever the hell we want but -especially- our government and military....and defending to the death my fellow americans right to sit down and drink their beer while the anthem played.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 21, 2018 at 11:58 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(March 21, 2018 at 11:36 pm)Libertarian God Wrote: I have always wondered this. Mostly because I feel some in this country [United States] take patriotism way way too far. For instance, not allowed to criticize the military or even choosing not to recite the pledge or standing for the flag.

If you have a PayPal account, PM it to me so I can send you a dollar. Then you can buy a clue about how much protest goes on in the US, and yes, students don't have to stand for the pledge (though in some places they catch some shit), and yes, again, many people are allowed to complain about the military. Just where, exactly, do you live, as regards a country?

I live in Arizona, need I say more? We are basically a wannabe Mississippi. Here is a common example: Someone burns the American flag. It is well within their right because of the 1st amendment and the Supreme Court even ruled it is a right. However, many far righties believe that it should be illegal to burn it because it is sacred to them. When in reality it is not a flag we should be loyal to; however the idea of freedom that is what people should be loyal to. It's just a flag. Or those people who say "I FOUGHT FOR THIS COUNTRY I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DICTATE HOW PEOPLE USE THOSE FREEDOMS I GAVE THEM". Yes I hear many say this who have served in the armed forces.
(March 22, 2018 at 12:30 am)Libertarian God Wrote:
(March 21, 2018 at 11:58 pm)Fireball Wrote: If you have a PayPal account, PM it to me so I can send you a dollar. Then you can buy a clue about how much protest goes on in the US, and yes, students don't have to stand for the pledge (though in some places they catch some shit), and yes, again, many people are allowed to complain about the military. Just where, exactly, do you live, as regards a country?

I live in Arizona, need I say more? We are basically a wannabe Mississippi. Here is a common example: Someone burns the American flag. It is well within their right because of the 1st amendment and the Supreme Court even ruled it is a right. However, many far righties believe that it should be illegal to burn it because it is sacred to them. When in reality it is not a flag we should be loyal to; however the idea of freedom that is what people should be loyal to. It's just a flag. Or those people who say "I FOUGHT FOR THIS COUNTRY I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DICTATE HOW PEOPLE USE THOSE FREEDOMS I GAVE THEM". Yes I hear many say this who have served in the armed forces.

Another Arizonan? Dude. Dude. There several of us, apparently.

And I agree that we take it too far. It’s childish.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(March 22, 2018 at 12:30 am)Libertarian God Wrote:  many far righties believe that it should be illegal to burn it because it is sacred to them.

Quote:Or those people who say "I FOUGHT FOR THIS COUNTRY I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DICTATE HOW PEOPLE USE THOSE FREEDOMS I GAVE THEM". Yes I hear many say this who have served in the armed forces.

Neither of those two things sound remotely patriotic.   That's not america, that's not how we do shit. I think that the rightwing strategy of branding themselves as the party of patriotism was brilliant..but.....if anyone still believed they were before today..it;s hard to see how anyone could legitimately maintain that belief now.

Their response to the russian president of the united states has been to shrug and talk shit about americans......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 22, 2018 at 12:37 am)J a c k Wrote:
(March 22, 2018 at 12:30 am)Libertarian God Wrote: I live in Arizona, need I say more? We are basically a wannabe Mississippi. Here is a common example: Someone burns the American flag. It is well within their right because of the 1st amendment and the Supreme Court even ruled it is a right. However, many far righties believe that it should be illegal to burn it because it is sacred to them. When in reality it is not a flag we should be loyal to; however the idea of freedom that is what people should be loyal to. It's just a flag. Or those people who say "I FOUGHT FOR THIS COUNTRY I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DICTATE HOW PEOPLE USE THOSE FREEDOMS I GAVE THEM". Yes I hear many say this who have served in the armed forces.

Another Arizonan? Dude. Dude. There several of us, apparently.

And I agree that we take it too far. It’s childish.

So, you're saying I should destroy Arizona?

I like a challenge.
Dying to live, living to die.
Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels.    We are a nation of exceptional scoundrels.
Quote: I live in Arizona, need I say more? We are basically a wannabe Mississippi

We're getting there.

Quote:Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels.    We are a nation of exceptional scoundrels.

It used to be.  Now religion is the last refuge.... but patriotism still ranks very high.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3815 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 7295 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7313 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3018 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1088 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Make America Nice Again Secular Elf 53 3557 November 9, 2020 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] The Mental Illness Crisis in America T.J. 9 1116 August 19, 2019 at 12:03 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Anyone Else in America See Your Taxes Go Up? DeistPaladin 17 2291 April 12, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  ISIS is the Sauds. The Sauds own ISIS. It's America's cold war gift. WinterHold 15 6391 February 5, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  "Securing America’s Election Act" Has Gotten Little To No Media Attention ReptilianPeon 20 2387 August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37