Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CA judge orders warning on coffee.
CA judge orders warning on coffee.
This feels like over reach and a waste of time and money.

Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle rules California law requires coffee companies to carry a cancer warning label because of a chemical produced in roasting.: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/30/busin...rning.html

The chemical in question is acrylamide. Guess what else it's in (short list): https://www.healwithfood.org/list/foods-...lamide.php

Why did the judge single out coffee?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: CA judge orders warning on coffee.
Considering your name, do you think this might be a case of personal bias?
(April 7, 2018 at 7:33 am)alpha male Wrote: Considering your name, do you think this might be a case of personal bias?

You god damn son of a bitch. It's a funkin roasting problem, not brewing. How dare you besmirch my name. JFC!

(hehehehehe)

(too much?)
(April 7, 2018 at 7:26 am)mh.brewer Wrote: This feels like over reach and a waste of time and money.

Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle rules California law requires coffee companies to carry a cancer warning label because of a chemical produced in roasting.: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/30/busin...rning.html

The chemical in question is acrylamide. Guess what else it's in (short list): https://www.healwithfood.org/list/foods-...lamide.php

Why did the judge single out coffee?

There is an overwhelming body of scientific evidence which supports the health benefits of drinking coffee daily, including a reduced risk of some cancers.  I don’t think acrylamide is well studied in humans, and I’m all for further investigation, but this is definitely an over reach.  All it’s going to do is scare people and confuse them further.

Brb...I need a cup of coffee. 😝
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
I loooooooooooooove coffee... so: cancer, here I come!

As to the OP, I think we might cross a threshold where the labels themselves become meaningless. Looking at all the stuff on that list (like french fries etc.), it makes me think if we labeled all that stuff kids will be like: "Yeah, so there is a cancer warning on cigarettes. So what? The same warning is on french fries."
(April 7, 2018 at 7:48 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: I loooooooooooooove coffee... so: cancer, here I come!

As to the OP, I think we might cross a threshold where the labels themselves become meaningless. Looking at all the stuff on that list (like french fries etc.), it makes me think if we labeled all that stuff kids will be like: "Yeah, so there is a cancer warning on cigarettes. So what? The same warning is on french fries."

Very good point. Unintended consequences.
I think it's definitely an over reach, like most other laws on the books. Pretty soon there will be a new tax for printing the labels.
Cancer, schmancer. It is in everyone's best interest that I remain caffeinated.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 7, 2018 at 8:56 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Cancer, schmancer. It is in everyone's best interest that I remain caffeinated.

Boru

I hadn't realized that you are awake when you post.
Caffeine is a tranquilizer for him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIV drug mandate violates religious freedom, judge rules zebo-the-fat 6 1006 September 9, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Divinity
Thumbs Up President Biden orders mass deportation of immigrants onlinebiker 135 5791 September 22, 2021 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Turkey's Erdogan orders the conversion of Hagia Sophia back into a mosque AniKoferBo 91 2761 July 15, 2020 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Former judge files new motions pushing for special prosecutor in Jussie Smollett case EgoDeath 15 1488 July 1, 2019 at 12:21 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  North Carolina orders new election. Brian37 4 572 February 22, 2019 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  ACA Struck down by TX federal judge. brewer 33 4172 December 18, 2018 at 4:18 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Here's Another Judge For The Orange Turdfuhrer to Hate Minimalist 1 471 November 23, 2018 at 5:14 pm
  Serious NEWS food warning..... Brian37 26 1836 November 22, 2018 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Another Judge For the WLB to Hate Minimalist 0 458 November 20, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Judge Crappynuts gains 3rd accuser. Brian37 25 1053 September 27, 2018 at 10:07 pm