Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making small talk more interesting
Making small talk more interesting
This has been a challenge to me for a long time. It's difficult for me to fake being interested in the way some people like to have introductory small talk. One person started talking to me by just saying the name of the city I live in and "huh?". Do you prefer the stock small talk questions about family and work?
RE: Making small talk more interesting
Don't ever ask me my favorite beach. I'm not a beach bum. This city is only where I fell out of my mother's womb.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(April 7, 2018 at 1:35 pm)c172 Wrote: Don't ever ask me my favorite beach. I'm not a beach bum. This city is only where I fell out of my mother's womb.

During a first conversation people ask you about beaches? That might be considered interesting.
San Diego seems only known fo its inoffensive weater (which I would like 10 degrees F cooler) and its beaches. And I do not go to the beach. I live here for other reasons.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Is your usual response, "I'm not into beaches. I like blahblahblah."?
Maybe "I'm not sure. I'm not into that kind of thing".
(April 7, 2018 at 1:30 pm)Bahana Wrote: This has been a challenge to me for a long time. It's difficult for me to fake being interested in the way some people like to have introductory small talk...

And yet, here you are, making small talk with c172... Wink

-Teresa
This seems like an important concept in life to me. Not all that small. If I would have just said what I said at the start of this to someone in person it probably wouldn't have gone well.
I hate small talk
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
She- Damn Arizona weather, huh?

Me-Mmmmm yes. I love it when the heat digs into my rheumatoid aching body as I sit in my black car in 120F temperature for a whole two minutes before turning on the AC, and then my bones and my blood recuperating make me feel alive! For a second there I mistake relief with pleasure and then I happily praise our Arizona weather.

She: walks away.

Mission accomplished.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No salt sticky rice for making Nigiri Sushi Brian37 20 1108 April 30, 2022 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  An interesting read concerning atheism in america. brewer 11 682 January 3, 2022 at 12:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Help Making Indoor Cat into Outdoor cat. vulcanlogician 22 1976 May 1, 2021 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Interesting FACTS Cod 37 2731 October 29, 2019 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Cod
  One advantage of small towns. onlinebiker 40 3061 May 14, 2019 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The queen doesn't half talk some shit Cod 11 2065 December 26, 2018 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Making Jerky onlinebiker 0 277 December 25, 2018 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2245 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Making money online. paulpablo 25 2321 September 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Tried making vegan burgers. . . bennyboy 10 1353 August 3, 2018 at 5:59 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie