Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About Video Size And Quality
Question About Video Size And Quality
I recently installed OBS to record videos for a 'let's play' type of thing... only without my microphone. I should say a 'playthrough' really. Anyway, me playing a game.

I want to upload it to YouTube but my internet is so crappy that with the HD video quality it seems like it would take forever.

Is there a way to reduce the size drastically without losing huge amounts of quality?

May sound like a silly question: But I know there is something like that for audio. FLACs have all the audio quality of wavs but they are way, way, smaller in file size.

So I was wondering if there was a video equivalent to FLACs.
RE: Question About Video Size And Quality
(April 22, 2018 at 4:56 am)Hammy Wrote: I recently installed OBS to record videos for a 'let's play' type of thing... only without my microphone. I should say a 'playthrough' really. Anyway, me playing a game.

I want to upload it to YouTube but my internet is so crappy that with the HD video quality it seems like it would take forever.

Is there a way to reduce the size drastically without losing huge amounts of quality?

May sound like a silly question: But I know there is something like that for audio. FLACs have all the audio quality of wavs but they are way, way, smaller in file size.

Assuming you are recording to a standard format, there are many programs which can downconvert to a lower resolution (or same resolution with less detail). However, what you ask, is there a video equivalent of FLAC, I don't believe there is. FLAC uses lossless compression which is a method of compressing the information in an audio stream into a smaller representation which contains the same information as the original. More or less by definition, video compression is lossy. However, with a good compression program, the visible quality may be well preserved while still realizing a space savings. I use format factory for translating between formats, which you could use, but I don't know how it compares in terms of the relative quality of the compression. That's not a feature which attracts much attention in reviews, so I imagine it's a crap shoot. You'd just have to experiment and see whether the quality / size trade-off was suitable for your needs.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
hammy look for open source video converters... lots of good free ones.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
There are newer video formats which can give you decent quality at a much smaller bitrate, and thus much smaller file size. I had a decent quality video convertor that could do this before I lost it to a system restore. It can however, take a very very long time to convert to these formats. I wish I could remember what formats but it's been a very long time since I've done this.
It's really kind of pointless as youtube will compress your uploaded video anyway, but....
(April 22, 2018 at 5:05 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(April 22, 2018 at 4:56 am)Hammy Wrote: I recently installed OBS to record videos for a 'let's play' type of thing... only without my microphone. I should say a 'playthrough' really. Anyway, me playing a game.

Assuming you are recording to a standard format, there are many programs which can downconvert to a lower resolution (or same resolution with less detail).  However, what you ask, is there a video equivalent of FLAC, I don't believe there is.  FLAC uses lossless compression which is a method of compressing the information in an audio stream into a smaller representation which contains the same information as the original.  More or less by definition, video compression is lossy.  However, with a good compression program, the visible quality may be well preserved while still realizing a space savings.  I use format factory for translating between formats, which you could use, but I don't know how it compares in terms of the relative quality of the compression.  That's not a feature which attracts much attention in reviews, so I imagine it's a crap shoot.  You'd just have to experiment and see whether the quality / size trade-off was suitable for your needs.

Thank you Jor. Do you know of any free audio compression programs that are any good?

(April 22, 2018 at 10:19 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: It's really kind of pointless as youtube will compress your uploaded video anyway, but....

Hmm. True. I don't need high video quality though. I'd be happy with fucking 240p (but no lower) but my internet is slow so I feel like converting from high quality to 240p would take forever. Or does it not work like that? Does it take longer to compress further?

I don't need particularly good quality, juts quality enough to see what is being done. 240p may be a bit blurry at some parts, for the game I wanna record. So maybe 320 or 480 is required, but I definitely don't need 720 and certainly not high definition or anything.
(April 22, 2018 at 11:27 am)Hammy Wrote: Thank you Jor. Do you know of any free audio compression programs that are any good?

Audio compression? I thought you wanted video compression? For audio compression, it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you're going for lossless, FLAC or Microsoft's lossless format are probably best as they are the most widely supported. If you're looking for lossy audio compression, the lame plugin is the most commonly used one (it can be had at hydrogen audio). Lame requires a shell or invocation at the command line. Since I prefer a shell, I use the compression IDE provided with Monkey lossless codec.

For video compression, I use format factory, but largely because it's the first one I came across which did what I need (it will convert between many different formats, though I don't know if it supports x.264 encodings or matroska). I haven't really compared any programs for which are better and which are worse.
Sorry I meant video lol.

(April 22, 2018 at 11:36 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: For video compression, I use format factory, but largely because it's the first one I came across which did what I need (it will convert between many different formats, though I don't know if it supports x.264 encodings or matroska).  I haven't really compared any programs for which are better and which are worse.

Thanks Jor! I'll give that one a go anyway.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for a video about god (?) and the sixth sense movie Whoobodoobooo 5 778 May 21, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Audio Quality Test wolf39us 0 428 August 24, 2015 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: wolf39us
  Bite-size Hallowe'en horrors Cyberman 13 2206 October 22, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Drich
  I saw this (non religious) video on Facebook and it made me angry Drich 74 11410 August 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Osama bin-laden left hugely disappointed by quality of virgins. leo-rcc 5 2588 May 2, 2011 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Video request, Debate about physics and god. theVOID 6 2765 December 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Tiberius