Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should circumcision be illegal?
Should circumcision be illegal?
I don't think any parent should have the right to cut off parts of their children's genitals.
RE: Should circumcision be illegal?
Sure, it should be a choice.

[Image: vl16tuxU_o.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I think it absolutely should be illegal to have it done to a someone who isn't a legal adult without their consent. Permanent damage to the genitals of someone who couldn't possibly consent should absolutely be illegal. It's just like any other body part. Also, the operation can go wrong ... and not to mention there's a purpose to the foreskin... and it eliminates a lot of pleasure to the nerve endings of the penis to remove it. It plays some sort of cruel joke on the child's future adult self... and they'll never know quite how much pleasure they're missing!

It's barbaric. And it's disgusting how there's this pseudo-scientific myth spread around about it being hygienic to justify what was originally just a barbaric superstious bullshit religious practice.

If someone can't keep their foreskin clean then it's them who is unhygenic. Don't want a dirty foreskin? Wash it!

Sheesh. Yeah, not a fan of mutilating any baby's body parts... to be honest. With the exception of when it's medically necessary.
Yes. To say it slightly reduces the risk of STD's doesn't justify it. Wear a condom if that's what you want. If you chop off the whole thing, you reduce the risk by %100.
(April 28, 2018 at 2:49 pm)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: Yes. To say it slightly reduces the risk of STD's doesn't justify it. Wear a condom if that's what you want. If you chop off the whole thing, you reduce the risk by %100.

And, in fact, if some men are using that as an excuse to not wear condoms that will actually lead to more STDs.
(April 28, 2018 at 2:35 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: I don't think any parent should have the right to cut off parts of their children's genitals.

This is a super hot button topic on these forums. I don't have a strong opinion either way. I can see the argument against it as you're cutting a piece of skin off from a baby. On the other hand, circumcision does have health benefits as it helps prevent infections and the spread of STD's. It's all about whether or not you think the "evil" (cutting a piece of skin off a baby) outweighs the good (preventing future complications/infections). Whether or not it should be legal should also depend on that.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Not many adults would make the choice to have it done to themselves. If it were that way there would be almost no circumcisions.
I'm an atheist and I'm cut. I find it more sightly, plus, I'm glad to have had it dne as an infant, because I have no memories of it. If I were given the decision to do it as an adult, I may be risking pain.

I trust my parents to have made the right decisions on my behalf in my earlier childhood. I turned out OK.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
WWII, American soldiers deployed to equatorial climes who were not already circumcised BEGGED to be circumcised.

So, maybe instead of 'illegal' it otta be discouraged unless the one wanting it is of legal age and can voice a rationale for wanting it.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 28, 2018 at 2:55 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(April 28, 2018 at 2:35 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: I don't think any parent should have the right to cut off parts of their children's genitals.

This is a super hot button topic on these forums. I don't have a strong opinion either way. I can see the argument against it as you're cutting a piece of skin off from a baby. On the other hand, circumcision does have health benefits as it helps prevent infections and the spread of STD's. It's all about whether or not you think the "evil" (cutting a piece of skin off a baby) outweighs the good (preventing future complications/infections). Whether or not it should be legal should also depend on that.

It doesn't have health benefits at all unless the baby actually has a condition that means there is something wrong with their foreskin.

Sure, less STDs if you remove the foreskin... but remove someone's feet and they can't get infected toes either.....

Using condoms is always an infinitely healthier option.

And there just is no possible way to morally justify mutilating someone's body parts without their consent unless it is absolutely medically necessary. Which it isn't.

I find it ironic that Christians who believe God made man in his own perfect image also think that some part needs to be removed!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Circumcision Der/die AtheistIn 51 9654 August 4, 2017 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
Exclamation Rabbi - why sucking a baby's penis in circumcision is good?! Woody68 9 3978 August 31, 2013 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  German court rules religious circumcision on boys an assault Ashendant 111 44004 July 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Hovik
  Circumcision Ban BloodyHeretic 46 15885 June 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower