Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal vs External perspective
Internal vs External perspective
I'm starting to see a pattern here between theists and atheists.

Theists are more likely to believe in an objective morality that exists external to themselves. Atheists are more likely to believe that morality derives from a set of evolved instincts and therefore comes from within.

On the thread 'Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread' the theists were arguing that there is a meaning to life that exists beyond our own lives whereas the atheists were arguing that we each need to apply our own meaning to our own lives and not have it applied to us externally.

I also noticed that many of the atheists often had relatively low scores on the test in the 'Empathy Quotient' thread. Only one theist took the test so we can't make a comparison. Note that I am NOT saying that atheists lack empathy and theists have it in abundance, there are certainly some theists on this site that demonstrate otherwise. But I have noticed in the past that some people are more inward focused and wrapped up in their own thoughts, feelings and introspection whereas others are more focused on their external senses such as how they appear to others.

I am wondering if being more externally focused actually makes you more susceptible to a religious upbringing imposed on you externally because you will be more greatly aware of the effects of not conforming socially. Whereas those of a more introspective nature will be more keen to think things through themselves regardless of the social cost.

A difference in perspective, between inward and external, could be a common pattern differentiating keen theists and staunch atheists.
RE: Internal vs External perspective
(May 24, 2018 at 8:38 am)Mathilda Wrote: I'm starting to see a pattern here between theists and atheists.

Theists are more likely to believe in an objective morality that exists external to themselves. Atheists are more likely to believe that morality derives from a set of evolved instincts and therefore comes from within.

On the thread 'Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread' the theists were arguing that there is a meaning to life that exists beyond our own lives whereas the atheists were arguing that we each need to apply our own meaning to our own lives and not have it applied to us externally.

I also noticed that many of the atheists often had relatively low scores on the test in the 'Empathy Quotient' thread. Only one theist took the test so we can't make a comparison. Note that I am NOT saying that atheists lack empathy and theists have it in abundance, there are certainly some theists on this site that demonstrate otherwise. But I have noticed in the past that some people are more inward focused and wrapped up in their own thoughts, feelings and introspection whereas others are more focused on their external senses such as how they appear to others.

I am wondering if being more externally focused actually makes you more susceptible to a religious upbringing imposed on you externally because you will be more greatly aware of the effects of not conforming socially. Whereas those of a more introspective nature will be more keen to think things through themselves regardless of the social cost.

A difference in perspective, between inward and external, could be a common pattern differentiating keen theists and staunch atheists.

Please let me correct your point when you say...............Theists are more likely to believe in an objective morality that exists external to themselves........

I rather would say............Religious theists are more likely to believe in an objective morality that exists external to themselves..........

Atheists unfortunately got a problem in not understanding the difference that there is between spirituality and religion.
In that way they mix different things in the same pot that of course shouldn't be mixed especially in this case as morality in spirituality exist internally not externally.  Lightbulb

(Color mine)
IDK but I did get that 80/80 and have no trouble seeing external meaning or accepting moral realism.... and I'm probably the last person anyone would think of as being susceptible to religion or a religious upbringing.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Theists seem to get more life satisfaction as being part of a collective group than as an individual. Yes, theists have a greater need to be a part of something outside themselves for esteem and satisfaction.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
While strangely being very, very self centric.  It;s worth noting (in ref to the op) that alot of those comments depend upon relying on how believers report or communicate themselves.....which may not be accurate, and may..in fact, be entirely opposite the fact of the matter in question.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 24, 2018 at 9:34 am)Little Rik Wrote: Please let me correct your point when you say...............Theists are more likely to believe in an objective morality that exists external to themselves........

I rather would say............Religious theists are more likely to believe in an objective morality that exists external to themselves..........

Interesting. So are you saying that theists who are not part of a religion are less likely to believe in an objective morality?

Could the religious theists therefore be having a morality imposed upon them by organised religion?
(May 24, 2018 at 8:38 am)Mathilda Wrote: I'm starting to see a pattern here between theists and atheists.

Actually introspection and empathy tend to go together. If you are self aware, good at being in tune with your thoughts, and have a good understanding of your feelings, chances are you'll be good at relating to, identifying, and empathizing with other people's thoughts and feelings. There's even a single term for this. It's called emotional intelligence, and it encompasses both introspection and empathy as part of the same thing. The more sociopathic a person is, the more they lack emotional intelligence.      

I don't think emotional intelligence plays a role in whether or not a person believes in God. A person can be incredibly in tune with themselves and still believe that morality is an objective thing, and that there's more out there beyond just the material.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(May 24, 2018 at 10:22 am)Mathilda Wrote:
(May 24, 2018 at 9:34 am)Little Rik Wrote: Please let me correct your point when you say...............Theists are more likely to believe in an objective morality that exists external to themselves........

Interesting. So are you saying that theists who are not part of a religion are less likely to believe in an objective morality?

Could the religious theists therefore be having a morality imposed upon them by organised religion?

The main bulk of a religious theist morality come from their religion so that is an external approach.
I say the main part because a little bit may also come from internal feeling.

Theists who follow spirituality instead follow the opposite which means that the main bulk come from within and in small small part from outside which is the guru teachings.
In fact spirituality is 99% or so practice and 1% or less theory while in religion practice most time equal to asking God for something which of course lead nowhere.  Lightbulb

The difference is enormous that is why you should know what is the difference between religion and spirituality in order to make the correct judgement.  Lightbulb
Mat, I'm thinking the variables are too many to try to form a connection.

Belief in God could be totally inconsequential to any of the above.
Your culture, country, skepticism/gullibility, general intelligence, narcissism, peer pressure, social standing, etc all ultimately have the final say.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 24, 2018 at 7:31 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Mat, I'm thinking the variables are too many to try to form a connection.

Belief in God could be totally inconsequential to any of the above.
Your culture, country, skepticism/gullibility, general intelligence, narcissism, peer pressure, social standing, etc all ultimately have the final say.

Agreed. I wasn't wondering whether it was a cause, but one common characteristic of many.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Hindu Perspective: Science vs. Spirituality Krishna Jaganath 70 9572 November 17, 2015 at 11:19 am
Last Post: dyresand
  A Computational Perspective of Religion Rayaan 9 7139 March 27, 2012 at 8:21 am
Last Post: fuckass365