Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What book are you reading?
What book are you reading?
I'm currently reading The Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind. I'm into High Fantasy.
I may be lying in the gutter, but I'm staring at the stars.
RE: What book are you reading?
I'm into High Fantasy, too. Goodkind is one of my favorites. Right now, I am reading Elantris - by Brandon Sanderson. It was his first novel and it's very good. I've read everything by him since I heard he was taking over for the late Robert Jordan, and he is definitely worthy. I've read the first Wheel of Time book he wrote since taking it over and it was the best one in several of the previous ones by Jordan.
I'll have to check that book out sometime, it sounds interesting! Oh, my friend just finished The Wheel of Time series, it sounds amazing. I also would like to read A Game of Thrones, I hear it's quite good.
A Game of Thrones is very good, if you enjoy a lot of Noble class political intrigue. That's the game. Heheh. I did enjoy it. A series I strongly recommend is the Codex Alera, beginning with the book, The Furies of Calderon - by Jim Butcher (known best for the Dresden Files).

I read constantly and it's usually fantasy, so I am overflowing with recommendations.
Sweet! I'll have to check those out as well, hehe. I do like a mix of politics into it. Ever read The Giver? It's not much of a fantasy, but it's quite good. I tried reading The Hunger Games, not so great though. But thanks, I'll definitely check out those books!
(December 5, 2010 at 11:59 am)Paul the Human Wrote: A Game of Thrones is very good, if you enjoy a lot of Noble class political intrigue. That's the game. Heheh. I did enjoy it. A series I strongly recommend is the Codex Alera, beginning with the book, The Furies of Calderon - by Jim Butcher (known best for the Dresden Files).

I read constantly and it's usually fantasy, so I am overflowing with recommendations.

Currently I'm reading Strangers by Dean Koontz. I'm not that far into it so I won't be able to tell you much about it.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
That was a good book. I've read most of Koontz's books. He gets a little spiritual at times, but his books are usually quite engrossing. What gets me is how fast he shits 'em out! Prolific doesn't begin to describe it.
(December 5, 2010 at 11:29 am)Paul the Human Wrote: I'm into High Fantasy, too. Goodkind is one of my favorites. Right now, I am reading Elantris - by Brandon Sanderson. It was his first novel and it's very good. I've read everything by him since I heard he was taking over for the late Robert Jordan, and he is definitely worthy. I've read the first Wheel of Time book he wrote since taking it over and it was the best one in several of the previous ones by Jordan.

Got WOT?

(December 5, 2010 at 11:59 am)Paul the Human Wrote: A Game of Thrones is very good, if you enjoy a lot of Noble class political intrigue. That's the game. Heheh. I did enjoy it. A series I strongly recommend is the Codex Alera, beginning with the book, The Furies of Calderon - by Jim Butcher (known best for the Dresden Files).

I'm rather blown out that Game of Thrones is already being made into a series on HBO when GRR Martin hasn't even finished the books.

I followed WOT from the publication of the first book and seriously thought I would be the one to die before Jordan completed the books, how sad it was when Jordan died leaving the story unfinished. I think Sanderson is doing a good job and it's nice not to have inflated books comprised of sniffing and dress smoothing allowing the story to finally move on. I think Harriet was a terrible editor. Jordan said he had the last chapter finished very early on within the series it was just a matter of getting there!

I keep hearing that GRR Martin wrote himself into a corner with Song of Ice and Fire, I don't know. The storyline is amazing and the characters overall so well developed.

The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
WOT and GOT are excellent. I also enjoyed the Kushiel books by Jacqueline Carey - lots of epic political intrigue, BDSM, and gorgeously developed historical fantasy worlds. The last time I had a moment like I did when I saw Sean Bean was going to be in GOT, I was blindsided with a trailer for Phantom of the Opera and told Gerry Butler was going to wear those leather gloves. [shiver]

Random, Lily: I'm assuming you've read the Sookie books - have you heard the rumors of who might play Bubba?

It's been a while since I sat down with a fiction book. Right now I'm rotating between Seeds of Deception (for my paper on GMO's), The Vertical Garden, Catching Fire (arguing about our evolution due to cooking our food) and Sagan's Demon-Haunted World.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Cloaked in Red, America (the book), Julius Caesar, Earth (the book), and The Highwayman's Footsteps. They are all good books. Smile I'll probably check out a lot of what people are reading because I'm curious and love a good book. Big Grin
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are you reading? arewethereyet 146 8472 April 6, 2024 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If you were reading...... Foxaèr 4 451 January 29, 2024 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1038 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Reading order for the Duneverse? Gawdzilla Sama 6 661 June 20, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 258 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3187 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  So I'm finally reading a work by Lovecraft GrandizerII 18 2179 October 15, 2019 at 5:58 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1111 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  I tried watching and reading Peanuts Der/die AtheistIn 5 447 April 3, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Favorite Book From Childhood T0 Th3 M4X 16 2009 December 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X