Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What are you reading?
What are you reading?
I couldn't find a thread for this so thought I'd make one.

A couple months ago I switched from watching various series and documentaries to listening to audiobooks.

Some are books I listened to a few years ago at work and decided to relisten...such as 'Angela's Ashes'.  I enjoyed that very much the second time.  The first time it was very sad and I was focused on that but this time I heard more of the humor.

I listened to 'The Handmaid's Tale".  I have to say I like the TV version better, which is unusual for me as I normally prefer the book version of a story.

The selections of audiobooks from our local library is a bit limited so I may decide to go with the fee for Audible.  For now I have some choices of audiobooks  through a four month trial of Kindle Unlimited.

What are you reading or listening to?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

RE: What are you reading?
I don't ready anymore. Haven't read a book in forever. I did all my reading when I was younger. Maybe one day I'll read a book again.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'm old...I tend to fall asleep if I try to read. But I like being able to listen to books while I am sewing.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

If I was going to read something, it would probably be to catch up on what Dean Koontz has been writing.

Dean Koontz books

Looks as though I have a lot to catch up on; the last one I read being somewhere around 2014-15, maybe.
~ Erin Hunter
(August 8, 2022 at 10:37 pm)Tomato Wrote: I don't ready anymore. Haven't read a book in forever. I did all my reading when I was younger. Maybe one day I'll read a book again.

I'm interested in what you say here, because I think a lot of people are in the same boat. 

Can you put your finger on a reason why you're not reading? Are you busy with responsibilities? Is it distraction from the Internet? 

I keep a list, and I see I've read fewer books this year than last.

The world changes, and I get that young people are just interested in different things than I am. But I think the world would be a lesser place if nobody was reading -- especially the challenging books that require some focus and discipline to stick with.
I don't want to give it away, but I will say that windmills and a knight with a very sorry face are involved.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(August 9, 2022 at 12:44 am)Belacqua Wrote: Can you put your finger on a reason why you're not reading?

It was simply a shift of interest to other things.
~ Erin Hunter
Re-reading Twain's 'Roughing It'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Reading John Derbyshire's "Unknown Quantity", subtitled "A Real and Imaginary History of Algebra".
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Re-reading the Bible, a Catholic version this time. I'm on Daniel. Lot of mysterious angels, lot of cubits and measures, and some truly weird dreams and visions. Of course between each book of the Bible I read a trashy horror novel to cleanse my reading palate. The last one I read was the Beast of Barcroft by Bill Schweigart; about a neighbor who has a rat problem. Of course it turns out to be the first book in a trilogy, but it stands fine on its own.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you were reading...... Foxaèr 4 344 January 29, 2024 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Reading order for the Duneverse? Gawdzilla Sama 6 648 June 20, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  So I'm finally reading a work by Lovecraft GrandizerII 18 2128 October 15, 2019 at 5:58 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  I tried watching and reading Peanuts Der/die AtheistIn 5 424 April 3, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Anyone else reading the Neapolitan Quartet by Elena Ferrante? Whateverist 0 321 September 21, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Hey, what are you reading there? Mr.Obvious 6 2045 May 29, 2017 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: c172
  What are you reading? BrokenQuill92 12 1625 August 23, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  What book(s) are you reading right now? Handprint 22 3757 September 4, 2015 at 6:43 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Atheist Reading Material lezbehonest 30 5095 August 1, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  What are you reading? BrokenQuill92 98 12896 May 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92