Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Me, cyborg...
Me, cyborg...
You would like to be a cyborg...???
A few days ago I heard a lecture by prof. Kevin Warwick ... "I'm a cyborg"... and on the one hand I was delighted and on the other hand horrified ....Kevin Warwick is one of the leading cybernetics researchers, known primarily for research on the computer-brain interface and artificial intelligence. He carried out several experiments and observations on himself, and the journalists quickly shouted him "the first cyborg" or "Captain Cyborg".
In 1998, Prof. Warwick was the first who implant under the skin a micro-transmitter  using RFID (radio-frequency identification) technology. The device made the researcher "recognized" by the electronic equipment in the room and could control even light or heaters.  ... He told how he felt in his hand the strength and resistance when on the other side of the world an artificial hand which he was controlling with his own strength of mind he touched and lifted things ... it was amazing ... but on the other hand, when he talked about it..how it will be possible when our thoughts through sensors start to rule our lives, it listens and controls our conversations and tells us what we should do now.. is quite terrifying..  so on the one hand, it's a bit scary and the other the therapeutic promise is an enormous....

So would you  like to be a cyborg and be connected to your computer, control things through your thoughts ... but on the other hand, be somehow controlled by a computer which tells you what to do or what you should to do?
I wouldn't want to.. even though it seems to be fun at the beginning but also it seems to me that computers are learning faster than we ..so to some extent it can take a larger part of my personality, and then I won't be me anymore... Tongue
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." 
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
RE: Me, cyborg...
Close enough for me:

[Image: Brain-In-A-Jar2.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I would love it as long as it doesn't affect my consciousness.
I suppose anyone with contact lenses, false teeth or a pacemaker is a cyborg, artificial parts replacing or suplimenting organic ones. It's just a matter of degree, where do you draw the line?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(May 28, 2018 at 5:24 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Close enough for me:

[Image: Brain-In-A-Jar2.jpg]

wow...Close enough for you.. how it possible, huh?

(May 28, 2018 at 5:25 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I suppose anyone with contact lenses, false teeth or a pacemaker is a cyborg, artificial parts replacing or suplimenting organic ones. It's just a matter of degree, where do you draw the line?

you're right to some extent ... but as long as it doesn't affect our awareness, we are not yet cyborgs.. i think so  Tongue
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
I already am a cyborg.

From the future.

Have you seen Sarah Connor?
Dying to live, living to die.
It would be fine so long as Will Smith wasn't trying to kill me.
(May 28, 2018 at 6:20 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I already am a cyborg.

From the future.

you're talking about the serial with Lena Headey or about the movies Terminator with Linda Hamilton? .. anyway I saw all the movies and I love them...but the serial not necessarily ... just saw a few episodes😜
(May 28, 2018 at 6:33 pm)KittyAnn Wrote:
(May 28, 2018 at 6:20 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I already am a cyborg.

From the future.

you're talking about the serial with Lena Headey or about the movies Terminator with Linda Hamilton? .. anyway I saw all the movies and I love them...but the serial not necessarily ... just saw a few episodes😜

We don't discuss the TV show or anything past T2...
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 28, 2018 at 6:36 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(May 28, 2018 at 6:33 pm)KittyAnn Wrote: you're talking about the serial with Lena Headey or about the movies Terminator with Linda Hamilton? .. anyway I saw all the movies and I love them...but the serial not necessarily ... just saw a few episodes😜

We don't discuss the TV show or anything past T2...

T2 ...? whatever it is... Tongue
so if we're talking about movies, yes, I've seen them and I love them... if I can say like this Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cyborg Roach For Some Reason stonedape 3 1109 November 8, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: stonedape