Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 10:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giving Each Other Pleasure
Giving Each Other Pleasure
This is not an Area69 topic although it could easily veer off that direction. I read Michel Onfrey's "Atheist Manifesto" a few years ago. He posited that a goal for each atheist should be to give other people pleasure. Music, art, cooking, wine, massage.

I enjoy cooking for others. I enjoy their "Ummms". My son serenades me with his music. My friends and I swap heritage tomatos in the summer. My daughter has taken her skills as a model and photographer to send me amazing photos of my grandson. 

Pleasure, anyone?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Giving Each Other Pleasure
What was the general reason (in the book) for having such a goal?
(June 3, 2018 at 4:59 pm)rskovride Wrote: What was the general reason (in the book) for having such a goal?
Onfrey posits a post-Nietzschean philosophy from which we have established that gods are dead. But, most of our lifestyles, philosophies,etc., are rooted in the religious traditions. So, he calls his search for a post religious philosophy "Atheology". Giving others pleasure (As opposed to suffering) is a major focus. The book is the only one I have found translated from the French.

I make Industrial Music, although I will gladly take plays from the most theisticy of theists.

I used to cook a lot of gluten free comfort food, but that wasn't great for my weight.
(June 3, 2018 at 4:54 pm)chimp3 Wrote: This is not an Area69 topic although it could easily veer off that direction. I read Michel Onfrey's "Atheist Manifesto" a few years ago. He posited that a goal for each atheist should be to give other people pleasure. Music, art, cooking, wine, massage.

I enjoy cooking for others. I enjoy their "Ummms". My son serenades me with his music. My friends and I swap heritage tomatos in the summer. My daughter has taken her skills as a model and photographer to send me amazing photos of my grandson. 

Pleasure, anyone?

Airplane, "Johny, have you ever been inside a Turkish prison"?

Kentucky Fried Movie, "Catholic Highschool Girls In Trouble."

But then again, I am dating myself, Rosy Palm and her 5 sisters.

Oh, you wanted serious? Nothing to see here, ignore the train wreck.

(June 3, 2018 at 5:18 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 3, 2018 at 4:54 pm)chimp3 Wrote: This is not an Area69 topic although it could easily veer off that direction. I read Michel Onfrey's "Atheist Manifesto" a few years ago. He posited that a goal for each atheist should be to give other people pleasure. Music, art, cooking, wine, massage.

Pleasure, anyone?

Airplane, "Johny, have you ever been inside a Turkish prison"?

Kentucky Fried Movie, "Catholic Highschool Girls In Trouble."

But then again, I am dating myself, Rosy Palm and her 5 sisters.

Oh, you wanted serious? Nothing to see here, ignore the train wreck.!

Funny is good!

Pleasure, anyone?

I love kissin’ them babes at bed time. 😍
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(June 3, 2018 at 5:39 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:

Pleasure, anyone?

I love kissin’ them babes at bed time. 😍

Ummmm! Oxytocin!

OP: Why shouldn't this be a goal for every human, atheist or not? The same as not intentionally giving pain.

(oh shit, hope Valk isn't reading)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 3, 2018 at 10:01 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: OP: Why shouldn't this be a goal for every human, atheist or not? The same as not intentionally giving pain.

(oh shit, hope Valk isn't reading)

No reason!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Giving up on romance FollowingFeynman89 4 402 July 23, 2023 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Giving up the fight zwanzig 16 1014 February 18, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: zwanzig
  What is worse, lying when you have to justify your action or not giving any answer? Der/die AtheistIn 13 982 March 19, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: tackattack