Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giving up on romance
Giving up on romance
I have been in many relationships over the years, and in only one did me and my partner see eye to eye on religion. It still didn't work out. I dated a muslim woman, but after a few discussions, it was clear it wouldn't work, obviously. From devout christian to non practicing jew, I've tried to find reason...alas, I have a very low tolerance for bullshit. It seems everyone around me, even very well educated people, are convinced of nonsense, like the apparent retrograde motion of mercury affects people on earth. I cannot lie to make things work. I am stuck. 

To concede on this matter would be to begin a lifelong masquerade from which there is no escape. 

I don't know if I even have a question here. I just need to talk to people who understand.

Is there any way to live honestly with people who believe insane, demonstrably false things?
RE: Giving up on romance
A big old house, a diamond ring, and a lonely broken heart...full of love, and I can't give it away.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Not sure if I could do it either
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(July 22, 2023 at 9:35 pm)FollowingFeynman89 Wrote: I have been in many relationships over the years, and in only one did me and my partner see eye to eye on religion. It still didn't work out. I dated a muslim woman, but after a few discussions, it was clear it wouldn't work, obviously. From devout christian to non practicing jew, I've tried to find reason...alas, I have a very low tolerance for bullshit. It seems everyone around me, even very well educated people, are convinced of nonsense, like the apparent retrograde motion of mercury affects people on earth. I cannot lie to make things work. I am stuck. 

To concede on this matter would be to begin a lifelong masquerade from which there is no escape. 

I don't know if I even have a question here. I just need to talk to people who understand.

Is there any way to live honestly with people who believe insane, demonstrably false things?

It's not easy, but it can be done. Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary, and we've been married for 41 years now. My wife's a devout Christian, and I'm a lifetime Atheist. We've had countless discussions and arguments on the subject of religion, but we've managed to make it work some how.
(July 22, 2023 at 9:35 pm)FollowingFeynman89 Wrote: I have been in many relationships over the years, and in only one did me and my partner see eye to eye on religion. It still didn't work out. I dated a muslim woman, but after a few discussions, it was clear it wouldn't work, obviously. From devout christian to non practicing jew, I've tried to find reason...alas, I have a very low tolerance for bullshit. It seems everyone around me, even very well educated people, are convinced of nonsense, like the apparent retrograde motion of mercury affects people on earth. I cannot lie to make things work. I am stuck. 

I'm going to be brief and hope not to be misunderstood. That you have a low tolerance for bullshit is a you problem. That is a standard you have chosen, for others. I'm not going to debate the wisdom of that standard, but another person, who humbly accepts that we all have things that another might consider bullshit, don't get my panties in a bunch over someone else's bullshit. I don't hold them to a standard which requires a certain acceptable threshold of bull. So I doubt that I would be faced with the same issue as you. I have in the past, but as I get older I become more tolerant, accepting of differences, and less needful that myself and others live up to some specific standard, as that is a form of perfectionism. So maybe you might want to consider how your expectations, requirements, and standards conspire to create your situation. This is not to say that a person dragging along some bullshit wouldn't be considered undesirable for other reasons, such as shallowness or immaturity, but only that I would be less intolerant of a mere difference in terms of beliefs.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Giving up the fight zwanzig 16 1042 February 18, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: zwanzig
  What is worse, lying when you have to justify your action or not giving any answer? Der/die AtheistIn 13 991 March 19, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Giving Each Other Pleasure chimp3 21 3331 June 4, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: paulpablo