Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doubts Brew About NASA’s New Arsenic Life
Doubts Brew About NASA’s New Arsenic Life
Was it too good to be true?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/1...more-44335
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Doubts Brew About NASA’s New Arsenic Life
Seems like it could be shoddy methodology.

The experiment needs to be replicated by an independent lab.
(December 8, 2010 at 7:25 am)theVOID Wrote: Seems like it could be shoddy methodology.

The experiment needs to be replicated by an independent lab.

Yes, as I pointed out in my earlier post on the subject.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
It's quite a funny turn of events, from "NASA finds alien life" to "Bacteria uses arsenic to build DNA" to "Lazy researchers forget to prep experiment properly"
(December 8, 2010 at 7:29 am)theVOID Wrote: It's quite a funny turn of events, from "NASA finds alien life" to "Bacteria uses arsenic to build DNA" to "Lazy researchers forget to prep experiment properly"

It underscores the importance of peer review and not "jumping the gun" before you have all your eggs sorted.

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Just like the new Penrose "Circular structures in the CMB"
It sounds like it would be a real beginners error any chance that the NASA scientist did a poor job on the research paper?

The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
(December 8, 2010 at 9:09 am)lilyannerose Wrote: It sounds like it would be a real beginners error any chance that the NASA scientist did a poor job on the research paper?

You mean a poor job on the paper and not the research it's self? Not that I know, it seems their methodology was flawed in some fundamental areas, they misrepresented the scenario and results as well as taking little to no measures for control and eliminating bias.

A good write up:

http://rrresearch.blogspot.com/2010/12/a...nasas.html
Quote:theVOID' pid='108811' dateline='1291814178']
You mean a poor job on the paper and not the research it's self?

Exactly, it sounds like the kind of ignorant error someone like me would make!

Confused Fall

Thanks for the link!

The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
This is why I refused to comment on this thread, they jumped the gun: http://atheistforums.org/thread-5492.html

The findings of the experiments were under scrutiny from the get-go, they didn't go through peer-review, arsenate is NOT arsenic, and said bacteria are merely resistant to the harmful ions as opposed to actually incorporating the compound/element in substitution of phosphorus.

(December 8, 2010 at 7:29 am)theVOID Wrote: It's quite a funny turn of events, from "NASA finds alien life" to "Bacteria uses arsenic to build DNA" to "Lazy researchers forget to prep experiment properly"
Change that headline to "Astrobiology research team loses funding from NASA". Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life eating other life. Brian37 42 2184 May 14, 2021 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  quality of life or life for life's sake tackattack 37 2282 November 24, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  New thing discovered that does not fit into tree of life downbeatplumb 8 2360 September 5, 2014 at 11:13 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Self-Assembling Molecules Offer New Clues on Life's Possible Origin pocaracas 8 3244 April 25, 2013 at 8:31 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  NASA Finds Amino Acids on Impossible Meteorite, Improves Chances E.T. Exists orogenicman 6 2204 December 19, 2010 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  NASA Discovers bacteria which uses Arsenic lilyannerose 16 4308 December 7, 2010 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Demonaura
  New Theory for Life's First Energy Source The_Flying_Skeptic 9 3725 June 26, 2010 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious