Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASA Discovers bacteria which uses Arsenic
NASA Discovers bacteria which uses Arsenic
NASA Discovers bacteria which uses Arsenic in Mono Lake

If anything this different were to be found it would be in Mono Lake. Mono Lake always made me feel like I was no longer on planet Earth!

Edited on Thu Dec-02-10 11:09 AM by Ian David

Hours before their special news conference today, the cat is out of the bag: NASA has discovered a completely new life form that doesn't share the biological building blocks of anything currently living in planet Earth. This changes everything.

At their conference today, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon will announce that they have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today. Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

But not this one. This one is completely different. Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth.

No details have been disclosed about the origin or nature of this new life form. We will know more today at 2pm EST but, while this life hasn't been found in another planet, this discovery does indeed change everything we know about biology. I don't know about you but I've not been so excited about a bacteria since my STD tests came back clean. And that's without counting yesterday's announcement on the discovery of a massive number of red dwarf stars, which may harbor trillion of Earths.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/dis...02x4638937

Read more: http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life
http://www.thelivingmoon.com/43ancients/..._Lake.html

Stunning photos of Mono Lake for those unfamiliar with the Lake.
The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
RE: NASA Discovers bacteria which uses Arsenic
Thats both interesting and disappointing I was hoping for ET.

But wait

This means that life started on earth at least twice, which means it isnt quite as hard as previously thought.

How long will it take the literal creationists to shoe horn this into their dogma I wonder

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Seems like multiple abiogenesis.
Dr. Wolfe-Simons website.

(She's kinda cute too! Big Grin)
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(December 2, 2010 at 1:38 pm)Chuck Wrote: Seems like multiple abiogenesis.

Beat you by about a second

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 2, 2010 at 1:37 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Thats both interesting and disappointing I was hoping for ET.

But wait

This means that life started on earth at least twice, which means it isnt quite as hard as previously thought.

How long will it take the literal creationists to shoe horn this into their dogma I wonder

I was sort of hoping for ET myself! Big Grin

Regarding the abiogenesis comments, I don't have a science background, could you expand a bit on it? I would appreciate!
The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
Interesting, I'm looking forward to hearing more, though I can't say I was expected a new type of life on Earth with "NASA" in the title. Tongue
"Faith is about taking a comforting, childlike view of a disturbing and complicated world." ~ Edward Current

[Image: Invisible_Pink_Unicorn_by_stampystampy.gif] [Image: 91b7ba0967f80c8c43c58fdf3fa0571a.gif] [Image: Secular_Humanist_by_MaruLovesStamps.gif]
I don't think this is an issue of multiple abiogenesis at all. All this means is that a bacterium living in an extreme environment has evolved to an extreme environment (albeit one that was rich in arsenic and poor in phosphorus). So, for instance, no one is proposing (certainly not based on any data I know of) that these bacteria first formed back in the primordial soup during Earth's early beginnings. What these results have shown is that some bacteria are capable of replacing phosphorus with arsenic, an ability which not only affects their DNA makeup, but also their ability to manufacture certain necessary energy compounds, such as ATP. Apparently, they were able to adapt by producing a different energy molecule that uses arsenic instead of phosphorus. I eagerly await results from others to see if these findings hold up, and to see what details are filled in.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
The reason this is important to NASA is that it greatly expands the possibility of life existing 'elsewhere', like Titan or Europa, perhaps. That is an exciting possibility! It changes the concept of 'life as we know it' to a fascinating extent, because it means that lifeforms may very well exist in environments that were previously considered unfit for life. It makes me wish I could live long enough to learn what we'll find out there someday.
(December 2, 2010 at 6:49 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: The reason this is important to NASA is that it greatly expands the possibility of life existing 'elsewhere', like Titan or Europa, perhaps. That is an exciting possibility! It changes the concept of 'life as we know it' to a fascinating extent, because it means that lifeforms may very well exist in environments that were previously considered unfit for life. It makes me wish I could live long enough to learn what we'll find out there someday.

I actually wrote an essay on this exact thing for school once (and people thought I was crazy)
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AI discovers new antibiotic(s) brewer 3 602 March 6, 2020 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Which mental illness did Muhammad Have? Meylis Delano Lawrence 8 10587 February 17, 2013 at 7:10 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Bacteria grows under 400,000x Earth Gravity! theVOID 1 1640 April 26, 2011 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Ten Reasons Bacteria is [censored] Awesome TheDarkestOfAngels 7 4025 February 12, 2011 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  NASA Finds Amino Acids on Impossible Meteorite, Improves Chances E.T. Exists orogenicman 6 2204 December 19, 2010 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Doubts Brew About NASA’s New Arsenic Life orogenicman 11 2979 December 9, 2010 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake