Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASA Finds Amino Acids on Impossible Meteorite, Improves Chances E.T. Exists
NASA Finds Amino Acids on Impossible Meteorite, Improves Chances E.T. Exists
Much more interesting than potential arsenic-dependent life-form found in a lake in California.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1710607/nasa-...-et-exists
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: NASA Finds Amino Acids on Impossible Meteorite, Improves Chances E.T. Exists
Quote:But the theory that comets can seed planets with the chemicals necessary to make life just got a huge boost from this new asteroid-meteorite find, which implies amino acids may be far more ubiquitous than previously thought.

And creationist morons will shit their pants in a festival of denial!
RE: NASA Finds Amino Acids on Impossible Meteorite, Improves Chances E.T. Exists
I think laboratory experiments should first be carried out to determine the viability of any amino acid in 2000 degree temperatures before we take the fact that we can't think of how this rock might have been contaminated by earthly amino acid to mean there hasn't actually been any contamination.

I think there wasn't any previous suggestions that where conditions are amenable to life, life can be forestalled by the lack of amino acids. So I might think this discovery does't change anything fundamental.
(December 19, 2010 at 3:57 pm)Chuck Wrote: I think laboratory experiments should first be carried out to determine the viability of any amino acid in 2000 degree temperatures before we take the fact that we can't think of how this rock might have been contaminated by earthly amino acid to mean there hasn't actually been any contamination.

I think there wasn't any previous suggestions that where conditions are amenable to life, life can be forestalled by the lack of amino acids. So I might think this discovery does't change anything fundamental.

It is possible that this fragment wasn't subjected to the high temperatures, and was simply thrown off during the impact. That said, I don't know what analysis was done on the meteorite to determine if it had been subjected to high temperatures (other than entering Earth's atmosphere). I wish I had access to the original paper.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Is it just me, or does it seem like every time we find an organic chemical anywhere, it makes E.T. more likely.
I mean, it's not wrong, but it's not really surprising either. You'd think the media and many journalists who report on these things thought there was nothing but granite, hydrogen, and dust outside of the Earth's atmosphere.

I mean, what would really be surprising is if the arsenic DNA thing were confirmed to be real or we find evidence that silicon-based life is possible. That would be a truely surprising and revolutionary development.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Actually, I suspect the discovery of granite outside the earth would be very big news indeed, since it implies water lubricated plate tectonics.
(December 19, 2010 at 6:38 pm)Chuck Wrote: Actually, I suspect the discovery of granite outside the earth would be very big news indeed, since it implies water lubricated plate tectonics.

Indeed.

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who will be closest regarding what life James Webb finds. highdimensionman 35 3126 May 24, 2022 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Life After Death Is Impossible, Says Scientist Fake Messiah 121 10155 February 23, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Imminent chances of societal collapse is sky high Foxaèr 28 1493 August 4, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Chemical evolution of amino acids and proteins ? Impossible !! Otangelo 56 8900 January 10, 2020 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Creationist finds fossils, still not convinced zebo-the-fat 16 4213 May 31, 2015 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Worom
  15 Year old Finds New way to Diagnose Cancer AtheistCreed 3 1787 September 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religion says we're rebelling against God; Science finds differently. TaraJo 29 12921 September 17, 2012 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Abiogenesis: Impossible, or no? Creed of Heresy 8 5251 July 16, 2012 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  Meteorite 'could have carried nitrogen to Earth' HeyItsZeus 4 1803 March 1, 2011 at 12:10 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Doubts Brew About NASA’s New Arsenic Life orogenicman 11 2995 December 9, 2010 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake