Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniel Kwan's Six Intersecting Pentagonal Prisms (SIPP)
Daniel Kwan's Six Intersecting Pentagonal Prisms (SIPP)
Hello everyone. The SIPP model is an example of modular origami: individual modules are folded out of paper and each module contains pockets and hands that connect with one another (without the use of glue) in order to form geometric objects.  I have posted pictures below of my attempt at completing Daniel Kwan's SIPP model along with links to the diagrams and video.  I have also left notes in hide tags for anyone who may be interested in completing this model (I hope that my notes are useful).

* Please note that I have posted the pictures in a manner that depicts the evolution of my model from one pentagonal prism into six intersecting pentagonal prisms.

I. Pictures

One Pentagonal Prism

[Image: mZzioXZl.jpg]

Two Intersecting Pentagonal Prisms

[Image: FBnFZrml.jpg]

Three Intersecting Pentagonal Prisms

[Image: jY1Sinsl.jpg]

Four Intersecting Pentagonal Prisms

[Image: 2Ay8FnHl.jpg]

Five Intersecting Pentagonal Prisms

[Image: X147Xprl.jpg]

Six Intersecting Pentagonal Prisms

[Image: TDGrfuLl.jpg]

Six Intersecting Pentagonal Prisms (Top View)

[Image: L8pGWval.jpg]

II. Diagrams and video

Diagrams

III. Notes and Tips

This section contains various observations and notes that I have made throughout my attempt of this model.

A. Folding and Assembly of pentagonal prisms

B. The Weaving Process

C. Final Observations and Tips

RE: Daniel Kwan's Six Intersecting Pentagonal Prisms (SIPP)
I could never do this. Kudos to you for this amazing piece of work.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Sorry, I read this in the voice of The Count from Sesame street.

"One intersecting prism! Two intersecting prisms! Bwa-ha-haaa!"

Well done.
Dying to live, living to die.
That's wicked cool! I haven't the inclination to make this, though. Blush  Too much else on my plate. I'll post a pic of an item I made many years ago when I had too much time on my hands, while on business travel prison.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Thanks for the responses.  I noticed in my section on the weaving that I stated that "any pentagonal prism has five sides", which is incorrect, since the top and bottom are also sides. Thus, it would have been correct of me to say that any pentagonal prism has seven sides; however, since nothing is woven through the top and bottom of any prism, then we can discount the top and bottom and apply a pattern that I referenced (i.e., a leg of one prism laying on top of another prism's side) to the five remaining sides of any given prism (I was specifically using the yellow prism as an example since that was my base prism).

This is my second attempt at the model: I took more time folding the modules and actually made the pieces of paper for the long modules 3.8cm by 14 cm (I used 3.8cm by 15cm in the op), which IMO, resulted in a sturdier, sharper looking model than my previous attempt.

[Image: CLFiJgGl.jpg]

[img] https://i.imgur.com/J1k4d1Il.jpg[/img]

[Image: bVyf1Lzl.jpg]

[Image: A6t0xmql.jpg]

[Image: 5mXgVUcl.jpg]

[Image: V4HPIn2l.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daniel Johnston Rev. Rye 0 171 September 11, 2019 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Mathematical Art Project: Tom Hull's Five Intersecting Tetrahedra Kernel Sohcahtoa 3 1427 September 15, 2016 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Anyone ever heard of Daniel Johnston? What do you think of this article? MusicLovingAtheist 1 719 September 16, 2014 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Zack